Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Norman Schöneich <sc...@ecooperate.de> on 2003/02/25 21:16:48 UTC

???NEW WebPageService/WebPageServlet NEW ???

Is it new ? seems to be very interesting ! Can someone give more
information about this service ?

thanks

Re: ???NEW WebPageService/WebPageServlet NEW ???

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 12:59  PM, Casimiro Lovato-Winston
wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I am currently in an effort to refactor our webpageproxyportlet and an
> accompanying servlet and htmlrewriter.

I will not commit any patches to WebPagePortlet, since I believe it
should be deprecated and replaced with WebPagePortlet2.
Or is WebPageProxyPortlet yet another implementation.
This is getting confusing to me, never mind new developers....

> We have found that the swing html editor kit is much faster for html
> rewriting than using regular expressions. Based on the earlier emails
> I took

Yes, but it does look powerful. I like the declarative manner in which
you can define rewriter rules.
I'd like to see the Jetspeed rewriter get to this point some day. Not
really suggesting using Noodle, just taking the ideas from it.

In the future I'd like to combine the WebPagePortlet2 with the Neko
parser, since it handles parsing fragments correctly.
Since the WebPagePortlet2 is pluggable, this should be fairly easy to
plug in the SAX events to the WebPagePortlet2 events.

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

RE: ???NEW WebPageService/WebPageServlet NEW ???

Posted by Casimiro Lovato-Winston <wi...@metnet.navy.mil>.
Hi David,

I am currently in an effort to refactor our webpageproxyportlet and an
accompanying servlet and htmlrewriter.

We have found that the swing html editor kit is much faster for html
rewriting than using regular expressions. Based on the earlier emails I took
a look at the noodle package and see that it has configurability abilities
beyond what we currently use for our servlet but I am concerned that it may
be slow since it does use regex (but then I have not 'really' looked at it)
You are welcome to any code that we have written although some of it is
fairly specific to our purposes. We are in an effort to refactor parts so
that it is more usefull outside of our specific portal needs.

hope that helps,

Casimiro

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 04:18  PM, David G. Powers wrote:

> On Thursday 06 March 2003 03:19 pm, David Sean Taylor wrote:
>> Will it be dependent on the HTTP protocol, or will it support other
>> protocols?
>> If it only works with HTTP, then HttpProxyPortlet sounds good (I know,
>> I've changed my mind again)
>

> I working on an Http only version.  I'm not aware of any other
> practical
> use.  The RSS stuff is best handled with XSLT, just as are other XML
> Web
> services.  I think other candidate protocols would be handled in the
> near
> term with this Http Proxy, i.e. SMTP/POP3 via WebMail.
>
> That brings me back to the part of my inquiry that I care most about -
> like what I see in the Apache commons HttpClient.  I like it much more
> than the java.net.HttpURLConnection.  I'm going to proceed using it
> unless I read negative feedback on it.

The +1 that I typed  means - "Yes, I agree, you have my vote"
If  you don't get any -1 votes, then your fine to go ahead and use it

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

Re: WebPageProxyPortlet

Posted by "David G. Powers" <je...@pssp.com>.
On Thursday 06 March 2003 03:19 pm, David Sean Taylor wrote:
> Will it be dependent on the HTTP protocol, or will it support other
> protocols?
> If it only works with HTTP, then HttpProxyPortlet sounds good (I know,
> I've changed my mind again)

I working on an Http only version.  I'm not aware of any other practical
use.  The RSS stuff is best handled with XSLT, just as are other XML Web
services.  I think other candidate protocols would be handled in the near
term with this Http Proxy, i.e. SMTP/POP3 via WebMail.

That brings me back to the part of my inquiry that I care most about - I

Re: WebPageProxyPortlet

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 02:18  PM, David G. Powers wrote:

> I'd like to use the HttpClient from Apache commons instead of a
> java.net.HttpURLConnection.
>
> ( http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/features.html )

+1

Re: WebPageProxyPortlet

Posted by "David G. Powers" <je...@pssp.com>.
I'd like to use the HttpClient from Apache commons instead of a
java.net.HttpURLConnection.

( http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/features.html )

Will there be any objections to introducing this new dependency?

DP

P.S.  Good names can be so elusive.  Anyone have a good suggestion for a
new "Proxied Http Content Portlet"?

WebPageProxyPortlet

Posted by "David G. Powers" <je...@pssp.com>.
On Thursday 06 March 2003 11:40 am, Glen Carl wrote:
> This is fine with me. I hope David Powers is seeing this email and can
> check out what was done with the WebBrowserPortlet and the
> IframeProxyPortlet. These portlets are included in the jar I
> referenced. Glen

Yep - I'm seeing it.

Here's a very brief overview of what I'm prototyping....

WebPageProxyPortlet - Enable navigation of a site within the context of a
portlet frame.

The connection to the content provider will pass through the Jetspeed
server.   I haven't given enough thought to ancillary page elements
(images, applets, flash animations, ActiveX controls, etc...)  initially
I will just let the browser handle retrieval of these.  Ideally this
implementation should be a complete proxy elimination the need for a
route from the browser to the content provider.

The admin / user will set the initial page parameters including:
	URL
	default HTTP headers
		authorization (username/password/method)
		cookies
		user agent
	general config
		field-rename-prefix
		method (GET, POST)
		restrict-nav-to-domain(s) (regex list?)
		restrict-resubmit-list (to prevent multiple payment confirm on reload)

Upon initial request of a proxied item the Portlet will use these default
parameters to load the page.

A rewriter will filter the content and inject / extract attributes
necessary to intercept navigation (GET or POST) and maintain state
(session / authentication) within the content and make it available to
the Proxy (Action or Servlet).

When a user acts upon a navigation element in the filtered content, the
proxy (Action or Servlet) will intercept the request and save control
info via the ProxyPersistenceLayer (interface - first implementation will
use Session, second will store token in session an attributes in RDBMS).
Control will then pass to the Portlet - getContent() will use the
"current" settings to fetch and filter the content and render it.

The rewriter is the trickiest part of this puzzle.  It must at least:
	rewrite href and action attributes to inject proxy URL
	save current target URL in PPL (ProxyPersistenceLayer) stack
	save any other request attributes (method, headers (cookies, etc...)
	rewrite form object names
	rewrite JavaScript function names

There is a reason for rewriting the form object names and JavaScript
function names.  I experienced conflicts with content from a single
provider.  They used generic javascript includes for form handling.
Every form used the same function for "onsubmit()" and a set of "global"
page variables.  I worked around this by renaming the functions and
variables per requested page, thus I could have multiple Portlets from
that content provider presented and handled on the same Jetspeed page.

I haven't gone back to edit what I just typed!  There might be some typos,
glaring omissions, or outright mistakes.  I am very open to any and all
comments, suggestions, and contributions.

DP

--
David G. Powers
PowerSource

Re: ???NEW WebPageService/WebPageServlet NEW ???

Posted by Glen Carl <gl...@buonvia.com>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Saturday, March 1, 2003, at 01:16  AM, David G. Powers wrote:

> On Friday 28 February 2003 09:48 pm, David Sean Taylor wrote:
>> On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 04:43  PM, David G. Powers wrote:
>>> I don't think anyone has used HttpProxyPortlet yet.  With a new new a
>>> new thread can be started....
>>
>> Proxy to me means a Proxy Server, which can get quite complicated.
>
> I'll just go with A working name of HttpLiaisonPortlet.  When it is
> ready
> for prime time it can be renamed - It really doesn't matter at this
> point.

Whatever, actually I can't think of anything better than Proxy either,
so Proxy is good enough.

>>> What is the "preferred" HTML parser API to base the rewriter on?
>> Why not a pluggable parser?
>
> I want help to choosing the tools for the "first" implemenation of the
> rewriter interface.  Pluggable can be good but I think one
> implementation
> should be provided.
>
>> If I want to use Neko, why force me to use Swing?
>
> Once again - I only plan to do the first one.  I'd like some help
> deciding
> on the best tool for the job.  If you say use Neko then I'll try to
> make
> it happen.  I'd like more input - I've never worked with Neko.  If my
> concerns about Neko working best with properly formed documents are
> valid
> then it might not be the best tool.  If Neko is ready and up to the
> tasks
> then great - I'm looking help to identify what is available and usable
> today.
>
>> Have you looked at the org.apache.jetspeed.util.rewriter package?
>
> Not much (not enough to unserstand it!)

Sigh.
Im beginning to see the anti-pattern here.
Well if you'd look at it, you'd see it uses Swing as the default,
pluggable parser.

> Ummmm -- ahhhhhh - is this to refute my use of the "Proxy" word?
>
> Seriously - I'm not thinking about a Proxy Cache for this right now.
> If I
> need that I'll just process requests through SQUID or another proxy
> server.

What exactly are you thinking of then?
Perhaps you could tell us about your goals, the feature set of this new
portlet, what code you will reuse and why...

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

Re: ???NEW WebPageService/WebPageServlet NEW ???

Posted by "David G. Powers" <je...@pssp.com>.
On Friday 28 February 2003 09:48 pm, David Sean Taylor wrote:
> On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 04:43  PM, David G. Powers wrote:
> > I don't think anyone has used HttpProxyPortlet yet.  With a new new a
> > new thread can be started....
>
> Proxy to me means a Proxy Server, which can get quite complicated.

I'll just go with A working name of HttpLiaisonPortlet.  When it is ready
for prime time it can be renamed - It really doesn't matter at this
point.

> > What is the "preferred" HTML parser API to base the rewriter on?
> Why not a pluggable parser?

I want help to choosing the tools for the "first" implemenation of the
rewriter interface.  Pluggable can be good but I think one implementation
should be provided.

> If I want to use Neko, why force me to use Swing?

Once again - I only plan to do the first one.  I'd like some help deciding
on the best tool for the job.  If you say use Neko then I'll try to make
it happen.  I'd like more input - I've never worked with Neko.  If my
concerns about Neko working best with properly formed documents are valid
then it might not be the best tool.  If Neko is ready and up to the tasks
then great - I'm looking help to identify what is available and usable
today.

> Have you looked at the org.apache.jetspeed.util.rewriter package?

Not much (not enough to unserstand it!)

> > It looks like Neko would work better with an XHTML document.  The
> > docs seem to indicate that malformed HTML isn't handled yet.  It has
> > been my experience that you cannot expect a well-formed HTML
> > document.
>
> I've heard a lot of good about Neko. Haven't actually used it.
> The other choice is the Tidy parser, which now supports SAX events I
> believe.

Is the TidyLib MIT License compatible with an Apache project?

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 04:43  PM, David G. Powers wrote:

> I've read others comments, given it a little thought, and looked at
> some
> of the tools mentioned in prior emails
>
> If you're interested, please review my comments and reply

> --------
> 1.	What should this thing be called?
> --------
> I don't think anyone has used HttpProxyPortlet yet.  With a new new a
> new thread can be started....

Proxy to me means a Proxy Server, which can get quite complicated.

> --------
> 2.	What is the "preferred" HTML parser API to base the rewriter on?
> --------
> My inclination is to use the Swing API with a 1.3 JDK for parsing.
> Within
> each tag event I might use regular expression to, for example, prepend
> portlet-specific id to JavaScript function names and the HTML objects
> they act upon.

Why not a pluggable parser?
If I want to use Neko, why force me to use Swing?
Have you looked at the org.apache.jetspeed.util.rewriter package?

> It looks like Neko would work better with an XHTML document.  The docs
> seem to indicate that malformed HTML isn't handled yet.  It has been my
> experience that you cannot expect a well-formed HTML document.

I've heard a lot of good about Neko. Haven't actually used it.
The other choice is the Tidy parser, which now supports SAX events I
believe.

> I looked at Noodle only briefly,  There is a RequestFilterInterface
> which
> provides the content as one big byte array with some extra attributes
> stripped out (HTTP Headers).  Am I wrong in assuming that the filters
> are
> regular expressions that Noodle will iterate through and apply to the
> complete HTML document?  That seems horribly inefficient.

Yes it does seem inefficient.

Posted by "David G. Powers" <je...@pssp.com>.
I've read others comments, given it a little thought, and looked at some
of the tools mentioned in prior emails

If you're interested, please review my comments and reply

1.	What should this thing be called?
I don't think anyone has used HttpProxyPortlet yet.  With a new new a
new thread can be started....

2.	What is the "preferred" HTML parser API to base the rewriter on?
My inclination is to use the Swing API with a 1.3 JDK for parsing.  Within
each tag event I might use regular expression to, for example, prepend a

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 12:27  PM, David G. Powers wrote:

> On Tuesday 25 February 2003 06:01 pm, David Sean Taylor wrote:
>> On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 12:16  PM, Norman Schöneich wrote:
>>> Is it new ? seems to be very interesting ! Can someone give more
>>> information about this service ?
>>
>> Its new but not completed.
>> I just found this link on the general site. It looks much more
>> and has a lot of overlap:
>>
>> http://noodle.tigris.org/
>>
>> The WebPage service was to be integrated with the WebPagePortlet2.
>> It keeps multiple connection state (cookies), and rewrites links back
>> to itself, not to the actual page.
>> I don't foresee having much time to work on it now
>

> At one point I implemented a WebPageProxyPortlet for a customer.  I
> wanted
> to contribute it but I never got it packaged "just right".  I got
> distracted trying to find the "Jetspeed Way(tm)" of doing things and
> ultimately ran out of time.
>
> Many contracts later I find myself ready to re-embark on the effort.
> This
> time around I don't want to get lost in a Castor/XML vs. Torque/RDBMS
> vs.
> PSML config or a "new" HTMLRRewriter vs. "old" HTMLRewriter decision.

Im tired of the having 7 odd implementations, some in the CVS, some not.
Lets work together on one implementation, what do you think?
Take all the best features from all implementations.

> Is someone actively working on this?  The task is fairly trivial - I've
> already done it once and it worked quite well.  I'm just looking for
> someone to tell me which building blocks to use.  I'm not looking for
> help with the code - I just want to be steered in the right direction.

its only as trivial as you make it out to be
there's a whole project called Noodle, doesn't seem very trivial to me
Personally Im not looking for a trivial solution

Steering in the right direction?

Well I don't want to push my way on everyone else.
I'd like to hear what others have to say.
For me, I'd like to see:

1. WebPagePortlet2 as the basic portlet
2. Migrate all the init-param features in WebPagePortlet to
WebPagePortlet2 --or--
	- better yet, look at how noodle defines rewriter rules
3. Look into using the WebPageService to handle state and rewriting,
integrate WebPagePortlet2 with WebPagePortlet

I know you have some nice Single Signon extensions to WebPagePortlet
Lets formalize your ideas there and build them in

> Anyone want to identify the tools & techniques to use so the project
> can
> ultimately become an integral part of Jetspeed?

Yes. Why don't you take the lead on this David.
I know that you write good quality code, I've seen your patches before.
Im swamped working on J2 and I can only donate so much of my time to OS

David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software
david@bluesunrise.com
+01 707 773-4646

Re: ???NEW WebPageService/WebPageServlet NEW ???

Posted by "David G. Powers" <je...@pssp.com>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.