Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by S Pramod <pr...@yahoo.com> on 2016/01/19 21:20:12 UTC

Using ATS as transparent proxy for non-HTTP traffic

Hi,Is it possible to use ATS as a transparent proxy for non-HTTP traffic? For example by just looking at all IP packets instead of only HTTP packets?

Pramod

Re: Using ATS as transparent proxy for non-HTTP traffic

Posted by Alan Carroll <so...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Yes, Leif is correct. I meant that you can write alternate protocol plugins for ATS and those should work just as well for transparent as for non-transparent.
Another option, although it's not really proxying, is to enable the transparent by-pass. In this case if ATS can't parse the incoming traffic as HTTP, then it will switch to a blind tunnel for that transaction. In this case the data is not examined, it is simply routed to the original destination as determined by the destination IP address of the incoming connection.

    On Thursday, January 21, 2016 3:35 AM, Luca Rea <lu...@contactlab.com> wrote:

 Hi,
some time ago I’ve fired a jira ticket asking for new Lua APIs which should make possible easily support new protocols… (TS-2910)

RE: Using ATS as transparent proxy for non-HTTP traffic

Posted by Luca Rea <lu...@contactlab.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
> On Jan 20, 2016, at 6:25 PM, S Pramod <pr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Just to be sure, ATS can proxy non-HTTP traffic as well? I'm looking at this example here (https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin-guide/configuration/transparent-proxy/router-inline.en.html) and it only talks about HTTP. Are there any other examples that you are aware of?

No. I *think* what Alan is hinting at is that you could write a plugin that implements either a generic TCP proxy, or a protocol proxy other than for HTTP.

Now, ATS does support HTTP and WebSockets natively, and the CONNECT method (tunneling HTTPS). It’s possible that this tunneling feature can be extended as a generic TCP proxy as well, but I’m not aware of any work in that area.

amc: please correct me when I’m wrong (as usual).

— leif

Re: Using ATS as transparent proxy for non-HTTP traffic

Posted by S Pramod <pr...@yahoo.com>.
Just to be sure, ATS can proxy non-HTTP traffic as well? I'm looking at this example here (https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin-guide/configuration/transparent-proxy/router-inline.en.html) and it only talks about HTTP. Are there any other examples that you are aware of?
Thanks,Pramod

    On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 6:58 PM, Alan Carroll <so...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

 Yes, it should be possible. I don't think it would be much different from the non-transparent case.