Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de> on 2013/07/12 12:39:06 UTC

Call for Participation: Natural Language Processing and Rule-based Information Extraction with UIMA

(sorry in advance for cross-posting)

First Call for Participation

Tutorial: Natural Language Processing and Rule-based Information
Extraction with UIMA

International Conference of the German Society for Computational
Linguistics and Language Technology

September 24, 2013

Darmstadt, Germany

http://gscl2013.ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/de/gscl-2013/

(Early bird registration until July, 15th)

The tutorial is split into two theoretic parts, followed by a hands-on
session.

The first part gives an introduction to doing UIMA-based natural
language processing using the DKPro Core [1] component collection.  It
will be shown how a processing pipeline can be composed from existing
components, such as a tokenizer, part-of-speech tagger, and parser. To
illustrate how such a pipeline can be used on own data and how analysis
results can be exported to other tools, we also show how to implement
simple reader and writer components. This includes a basic introduction
to the underlying concepts, such as Maven [2] and uimaFIT [3].

The second part gives an introduction to Apache UIMA Ruta (Rule-based
Text Annotation) [4]. We will cover the syntax and semantics of the rule
language as well as tooling support for developing rule-based
information extraction applications.

In the hands-on session, we will implement and run a simple pipeline
with DKPro Core.  We then will extend the pipeline with rule-based
post-processing in order to approach and solve different tasks such as
information extraction. This includes solutions how to combine the rules
with the information annotated by the DKPro components and ways for
efficient and effective engineering of the rules themselves.

Organizers:

Peter Klügl, Richard Eckart de Castilho, Dr. Katrin Tomanek

[1] http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/software/dkpro-core/

[2] http://maven.apache.org/

[3] https://code.google.com/p/uimafit/

[4] https://uima.apache.org/ruta.html