Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com> on 2008/02/19 15:36:51 UTC

RBAC vs JASS/Roles (was: Re: Plan to migrate towards Spring?)

nicolas de loof wrote:
> "Integrate RedBack / Spring into Archiva."
>
> What is the advantage of redback compared to spring-security (aka "acegi") ?
>
> spring-security allready supports role-based secutiry, DB user store and
> "remember me".
>
> Nico.

Redback is an RBAC implementation.

RBAC at NIST - http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/SNS/rbac/
RBAC FAQ - http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/SNS/rbac/faq.html
RBAC on Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RBAC

Spring and Acegi do not have an RBAC implementation.

The Redback <--> Spring integration is likely to take the form of
another acegi authorization provider, but it's still a little early yet
to speculate on how this will occur.

A more general question would be ... do we need RBAC for Archiva?  or
can we get away with standard JAAS Roles?

- Joakim

RE: RBAC vs JASS/Roles (was: Re: Plan to migrate towards Spring?)

Posted by "Simmons, Robert" <RS...@icat.com>.
The trend to single sign on is compelling. More and more companies out
there are chosing to use LDAP as the authorization mechanism rather than
just authentication. What would be improtant to me is if I could set
user roles in LDAP and use that information to restrict deployment to
the archiva repository as well as restrict the use of the repository. I
don't have detailed knowledge of the structure of archiva itself so I
couldn't speak to how to accomplish this.

-- Robert

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Simmons, Robert" <RS...@icat.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.