Posted to users@camel.apache.org by ji...@svensktnaringsliv.se on 2015/12/06 17:35:32 UTC

Documentation on writing endpoints is lacking...

I'm evaluating Camel for a coming project, and so far it looks pretty impressive. But I would like to try and write my own endpoint implementation, just to test it out, and the documentation on the website is a bit lacking, to say the least. At the minimum, one would think one could find a complete example, in java code, but I can't find any.

The documentation I found was this page:
http://camel.apache.org/how-can-i-create-a-custom-component-or-endpoint.html

It then refers me to this page:
http://camel.apache.org/writing-components.html

And under the section "Writing Endpoints" it basically just mentions that I should extend DefaultEndpoint, and implement the methods createProducer() and/or createConsumer(), but it doesn't say anything on *how* I do that. From reading the documentation and reading the javadoc, I still have no idea on how to actually write the code. Let's say that to learn this, I want to write an EndPoint that outputs some random famous quotes. Or even simpler still, it could just output the same String over and over. How would I go about doing that?

I also looked at the examples in the release zip file, but I couldn't find any java-file with the text "Endpoint" in the name, so I assume there is no such example to be found there.

Regards
/Jimi

Re: Documentation on writing endpoints is lacking...

Posted by Taariq Levack <ta...@gmail.com>.
PS if all of the mysteries weren't cleared up by the project generation feel free to ask.
Also see this page about the architecture which explains the various parts quite well.
http://camel.apache.org/architecture.html

Cheers

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
All the camel components itself are examples. So if you develop a
component that is similar to one ore more of the camel ones, then take
a look at the source code how they are developed.

If you want better Camel documentation, then take a look at the books
http://camel.apache.org/books

--
Claus Ibsen

RE: Documentation on writing endpoints is lacking...

Posted by ji...@svensktnaringsliv.se.

Posted by Taariq Levack <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jimi,