Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brown Bay <br...@hotmail.com> on 2002/03/13 14:55:24 UTC

Tomcat 4.0.1 on omvs under os390

I am in the process of porting our servlet based application running
under Linux to omvs under Os390. After extensive searches on the web,
I have not been able to find any kind of documentation/pages that
suggest that this configuaration is possible. I believe that it can be
done since I can run my Java programs quite nicely under omvs when
they are converted to ebcdic. also, the configuration and xml files
are text files, so they should not be much of a problem.

IBM provides Websphere that does the ascii-ebcdic conversions on the
fly and back under os390. My question is that has anyone been able to
deploy Tomcat on os390. If they have, how did they resolve the
problems of ascii-ebcdic conversions. I would appreciate any kind of
information on the subject.

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Brown.

Re: Tomcat 4.0.1 on omvs under os390

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Brown Bay wrote:

> I am in the process of porting our servlet based application running
> under Linux to omvs under Os390. After extensive searches on the web,
> I have not been able to find any kind of documentation/pages that
> suggest that this configuaration is possible. I believe that it can be
> done since I can run my Java programs quite nicely under omvs when
> they are converted to ebcdic. also, the configuration and xml files
> are text files, so they should not be much of a problem.

I have made so tries on a BS2000 but the EBCDIC there is a bit different. I have
used xerces as parser I was near to get the things running, but I added EBCDIC
support to mod_jk and use a TC running on an ASCII machine.

> IBM provides Websphere that does the ascii-ebcdic conversions on the
> fly and back under os390. My question is that has anyone been able to
> deploy Tomcat on os390. If they have, how did they resolve the
> problems of ascii-ebcdic conversions. I would appreciate any kind of
> information on the subject.

Patching the xml files. <?xml version="1.0"?> into <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="ebcdic-_of_the_machine"?>
An other problem was that the jsp compiler: The java intermadiate files where in
ASCII and the java compiler was not very happy.