Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by David Anderson <da...@calixo.net> on 2006/07/12 16:03:31 UTC

Stop packaging dependencies with releases

As we're plodding on with backports on IRC, the question of whether we
should stop packaging dependencies in our release tarballs came up
again, and it seems there is a consensus that we want to stop shipping
deps in our release tarballs.

We had this debate during the 1.3.x release process, and it didn't
work out, because we tried to ship two svn tarballs, one with no deps
and one with the deps.  This doubled the number of files to verify,
too heavy.

So, for 1.4, we would like to try going with another option that was
proposed: ship two tarballs (plus bz2 and win32 variants, of course):
 - subversion-1.4.0.tar.gz : the Subversion source code, no deps.
 - subversion-deps-1.4.0.tar.gz : the dependency package, which
   decompresses as an overlay to the previous tarball, adding
   APR/Neon/etc. to the plain svn source tree.

This is relatively simple from the point of view of distribution, as
the dist.sh can be adapted to splice out the deps into a separate
package.

So, first of all: If anyone has a *very* good reason, beyond "I don't
like it", for not wanting this two tarballs regime, let them speak up
now, and propose another solution that let us not bundle deps with our
releases.

The second question is more os a bikesheddy question, but that needs
an answer nonetheless: what should we put in the deps tarball? Neon,
Serf, zlib, BDB, APR ? Which versions of these?

I admit I don't really care here, as I will likely never use the deps
tarball.  So, what do people who will be using it want in there?
Which libs can be considered widespread enough to omit?

If the thread spirals out of control by the time I roll 1.4RC2, I'll
go for a status quo, and package in the deps tarball the deps we would
have packaged with the svn source (apr and friends 0.9 and neon).

- Dave.

Re: Stop packaging dependencies with releases

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
David Anderson wrote:
> So, for 1.4, we would like to try going with another option that was
> proposed: ship two tarballs (plus bz2 and win32 variants, of course):
>  - subversion-1.4.0.tar.gz : the Subversion source code, no deps.
>  - subversion-deps-1.4.0.tar.gz : the dependency package, which
>    decompresses as an overlay to the previous tarball, adding
>    APR/Neon/etc. to the plain svn source tree.

+1

> The second question is more os a bikesheddy question, but that needs
> an answer nonetheless: what should we put in the deps tarball? Neon,
> Serf, zlib, BDB, APR ? Which versions of these?

neon, zlib, apr, apr-util (youngest available which is known to work with
subversion.  versions may differ between windows and non-windows archives.)

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: Stop packaging dependencies with releases

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.
David Anderson writes:
 > We had this debate during the 1.3.x release process, and it didn't
 > work out, because we tried to ship two svn tarballs, one with no deps
 > and one with the deps.  This doubled the number of files to verify,
 > too heavy.
 >
 > So, for 1.4, we would like to try going with another option that was
 > proposed: ship two tarballs (plus bz2 and win32 variants, of course):
 >  - subversion-1.4.0.tar.gz : the Subversion source code, no deps.
 >  - subversion-deps-1.4.0.tar.gz : the dependency package, which
 >    decompresses as an overlay to the previous tarball, adding
 >    APR/Neon/etc. to the plain svn source tree.

+1 on this solution.

(I'm +1.01 on not shipping dependencies, but I haven't followed recent
discussions very carefully, and if this has been rejected before, let's
not start the discussion again.)

I don't know if there is a serf tarball to ship yet, but if there is,
it would be nice to do so making it easier for people to test
ra_serf.

Thanks,
//Peter

Re: Stop packaging dependencies with releases

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.
On 7/12/06, Marcus Rueckert <da...@web.de> wrote:
> On 2006-07-12 17:36:27 +0100, Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 09:20:40AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > > For 1.4, I would bundle:
> > >
> > > APR 1.2.7
> > > APR-util 1.2.7
> >
> > Subversion on win32 still doesn't support APR > 0.9; we also probably
> > can't switch away from APR 0.9 without breaking binary compatibility.
>
> what are the remaining todos here?
> just curious i mean apache 2.2 is available for windows now aswell

APR 1.x needs a fix.

See http://www.nabble.com/-PATCH--Adjust-more_finfo()-on-Win32-to-behave-more-like-its-Unix-Linux-counterpart-t967235.html.

DJ

Re: Stop packaging dependencies with releases

Posted by Marcus Rueckert <da...@web.de>.
On 2006-07-12 17:36:27 +0100, Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 09:20:40AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > For 1.4, I would bundle:
> >
> > APR 1.2.7
> > APR-util 1.2.7
>
> Subversion on win32 still doesn't support APR > 0.9; we also probably
> can't switch away from APR 0.9 without breaking binary compatibility.

what are the remaining todos here?
just curious i mean apache 2.2 is available for windows now aswell

darix

--
           openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux
               openSUSE is good for you

Re: Stop packaging dependencies with releases

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 09:20:40AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> For 1.4, I would bundle:
>
> APR 1.2.7
> APR-util 1.2.7

Subversion on win32 still doesn't support APR > 0.9; we also probably
can't switch away from APR 0.9 without breaking binary compatibility.

Regards,
Malcolm

Re: Stop packaging dependencies with releases

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 7/12/06, David Anderson <da...@calixo.net> wrote:
> So, for 1.4, we would like to try going with another option that was
> proposed: ship two tarballs (plus bz2 and win32 variants, of course):
>  - subversion-1.4.0.tar.gz : the Subversion source code, no deps.
>  - subversion-deps-1.4.0.tar.gz : the dependency package, which
>    decompresses as an overlay to the previous tarball, adding
>    APR/Neon/etc. to the plain svn source tree.

As before, +1 to this separation.

If we get lots of negative feedback from users, we can revisit this;
but let's really try this for 1.4.0.

> The second question is more os a bikesheddy question, but that needs
> an answer nonetheless: what should we put in the deps tarball? Neon,
> Serf, zlib, BDB, APR ? Which versions of these?

For 1.4, I would bundle:

APR 1.2.7
APR-util 1.2.7
neon 0.25.5 (as we don't support 0.26.x yet in 1.4.x)
zlib 1.2.3 (this is a new required dependency in 1.4.x)

Now that httpd 2.2.x has been in general availability since December,
I think it's time that we upgrade the deps we bundle to APR 1.x.  APR
1.x has many more bug fixes that we know folks are stumbling upon
(LFS, etc.).  And, httpd 2.2.2 bundles in apr/apr-util 1.2.7.

As I believe I mentioned in an earlier thread, I would say that we do
not change the dependency tarball in a given release branch.  That is
- the 1.4 dependencies are fixed at those versions.  We will only
change them in the presence of a major flaw with Subversion (unlikely
at this point) or a security vulnerability in one of those libraries
(possible).  For 1.5, we may decide that we want to change this
bundle...

HTH.  -- justin