Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2006/07/21 00:41:22 UTC

!!! Regression Search and Destroy Contest !!!

I posted the Wiki page this morning  for the Derby 10.2 Regression
Search and Destroy contest.   The contest winners will be:

"The top three developers or users who have made the greatest
contribution toward a seamless upgrade to 10.2."

Details are at: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/RegressionSearchAndDestroy

Entries can be anything that helps ease transition to 10.2:  trying
applications, finding regressions,   reviewing documentation,
identifying  fixed Jira issues with application impact or anything else
that contributes to a seamless upgrade. Make sure you record your
results when you try applications with Derby 10.2 on the page at
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoApplicationTesting even if you
don't find any bugs.

We already have a couple of  contest entries.  Dan filed a regression,
DERBY-1554,  this afternoon. and Michael Bouschen did JDO 2.1 testing.
Contest ends September 15.

After you make sure everything is working as it was, don't forget to
try   JDBC 4.0, Grant/Revoke,  scrollable updatable resultsets  and all
the other great things that 10.2 has to offer.
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoSnapshot.  When you find a bug
against  new features, file it in Jira and give yourself a point, but it
doesn't count in the contest.

Good Luck !

Kathey

You may have already won: !!! Regression Search and Destroy Contest !!!

Posted by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>.
After much discussion and consideration our panel of judges have come to
a decision regarding the winners of the v 10.2.1 Regression Search and
Destroy Contest (and some really good chocolate).  The winners are:

First Place:  Army for work on DERBY-1681, DERBY-1866, DERBY-1633 and
DERBY-1315 Second Place:  Yip for work on DERBY-1554 and DERBY-1652 and
most effort expended
Third Place:  Prasenjit for work on DERBY-1633 and DERBY-1777

Will the winners please contact me directly with information on
addressing the prize packages.  Also let me know if you have preferences
on the strength of the bars.  The bars are all dark chocolate but come
in various strengths like the lighter, dark chocolate (around 50%
cacao), med dark chocolate (around 60% cacao) or dark, dark chocolate
(around 70% cacao).

=============== SNIP  ===============================

Re: !!! Regression Search and Destroy Contest !!!

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
We now have our panel of judges.  Thanks to Stan, Rajesh and John for
volunteering.  Now all we need  is an army of users to try their
applications and flush all the bugs out of the product and documentation
for 10.2.  Please take a look and participate.

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/RegressionSearchAndDestroy

I was rereading the open source classic, "The Cathedral & the Bazaar" by
Eric Raymond  this weekend and was struck once again by the lessons of
open source.  These two relate directly to 10.2 testing I think.

#8.  Given a large enough beta-tester and co-developer base, almost
every problem will be characterized quickly and the fix obvious to someone.
#10. If you treat your beta-testers as if they're your most valuable
resource, they will respond by becoming your most valuable resource.

I believe both of these are very true.  Please try 10.2!

Kathey

Re: !!! Regression Search and Destroy Contest !!!

Posted by John Embretsen <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Rajesh Kartha wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>
>> I posted the Wiki page this morning  for the Derby 10.2 Regression
>> Search and Destroy contest.   The contest winners will be:
>>
>> "The top three developers or users who have made the greatest
>> contribution toward a seamless upgrade to 10.2."
>>
>> Details are at:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/RegressionSearchAndDestroy

> I can volunteer to be the second judge, if that  position is still
> vacant. ;-)

Since the wiki page mentions a need for yet another judge, I volunteer
for the "Judge #3" position...

--
John

Re: !!! Regression Search and Destroy Contest !!!

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> I posted the Wiki page this morning  for the Derby 10.2 Regression
> Search and Destroy contest.   The contest winners will be:
>
> "The top three developers or users who have made the greatest
> contribution toward a seamless upgrade to 10.2."
>
> Details are at:
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/RegressionSearchAndDestroy
>
> Entries can be anything that helps ease transition to 10.2:  trying
> applications, finding regressions,   reviewing documentation,
> identifying  fixed Jira issues with application impact or anything
> else that contributes to a seamless upgrade. Make sure you record your
> results when you try applications with Derby 10.2 on the page at
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoApplicationTesting even if you
> don't find any bugs.
>
> We already have a couple of  contest entries.  Dan filed a regression,
> DERBY-1554,  this afternoon. and Michael Bouschen did JDO 2.1 testing.
> Contest ends September 15.
>
> After you make sure everything is working as it was, don't forget to
> try   JDBC 4.0, Grant/Revoke,  scrollable updatable resultsets  and
> all the other great things that 10.2 has to offer.
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoSnapshot.  When you find a bug
> against  new features, file it in Jira and give yourself a point, but
> it doesn't count in the contest.
>
> Good Luck !
>
> Kathey

I can volunteer to be the second judge, if that  position is still
vacant. ;-)

Another application that I wanted to suggest for testing with Derby 10.2
would be benchmarks like Apache DayTrader using app servers
that support Derby (Geronimo, etc. etc.).  I think running such
scenarios for a longer duration against Derby would be useful
in finding issues.

Regards,
Rajesh