Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Nick Tonkin <ni...@rlnt.net> on 2002/11/01 06:57:15 UTC

[OT] Wanted: beginning perl books for poor kids

Hi all,

I am going to be working with a small group of "disadvantaged" youngsters
here teaching them how to build web applications with perl and
apache.

These are mostly Latino kids who have been doing analog and digital art
for years and have self-selected into webmastering, html-ing and such.

I'm excited to get them going in perl, and I want to appeal to the list
for donations of books on learning perl.

Of course I'm most hopeful that we can get half a dozen copies of the
Llama book and use it as a sort of textbook, but anything will be
gratefully accepted.

An existing site that shows some of the art these kids make (and also
why we need a new one!) can be viewed at http://www.rain.org/~artworks/

A cool project by one of the students is at
http://www.rain.org/%7Eartworks/NewATW/students/norma_web/norma_intro.html

Thanks folks,

- nick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nick Tonkin   {|8^)>

Re: [OT] Wanted: beginning perl books for poor kids

Posted by John Saylor <jo...@worldwinner.com>.
Hi

( 02.10.31 21:57 -0800 ) Nick Tonkin:
> I'm excited to get them going in perl, and I want to appeal to the list
> for donations of books on learning perl.

I'd say the best 'books' are all on line. Don't underestimate the
[lowly] man pages. Or perldoc [-f].

And there are stories and tutorials and good stuff at perl.apache.org or
perlmonks.org or www.perl.org [and so on]. Hopefully, your students [or
school] has/have the resources necessary to use the on line resources.

Good luck!

--
.--- ...

Re: [OT] Wanted: beginning perl books for poor kids

Posted by Ryan Parr <ry...@precisiontechonline.com>.
What open-source geek doesn't understand the importance, and calling, of
supporting your community?

Count me in. I think it's great that you are donating your time and
patience. Teaching isn't easy, but you've got a great cause. Send me your
shipping address and I'll send you a Llama book.

 http://www.rain.org/~artworks/NewATW/students/norma_web/sonar.html is
striking. I hope this girl goes on to great things.

--
Ryan