Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org> on 2019/12/19 00:24:11 UTC

Feedback for Avatica gradle release

The Avatica 1.16.0 has been finalized, pending a final announcement. The
docker hub build was not triggered, so I am in contact with infra to get
it fixed and the images published.

Overall, the release process using gradle has been very smooth. One
thing I noticed is that the publishDist task to finalize a release also
publishes the nexus repository. However, our problem is that we are
using docker hub to trigger a build to build the docker images when a
rel/avatica-x.x.x tag is pushed. This causes a problem because
publishDist will push the tag and then release the neux repository. Even
then, it can take a few minutes for the nexus repository to be
published. In the meantime, if the docker hub build was triggered, it
will fail because the artifacts have not been published to nexus yet.

I think we should disable the publishing of the nexus repository for the
publishDist task in avatica. We should manually publish it and confirm
that the release is successful. Once that's done, we execute
publishDist, which will also push the release tag to git and trigger the
docker hub builds.

What do you guys think?

Francis

Re: Feedback for Avatica gradle release

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
Another solution is to have the gradle task release the nexus repository
and poll it until it's completely released. Then once that's done,
proceed with the rest of the tasks under publishDist.