Posted to dev@pinot.apache.org by Mayank Shrivastava <ma...@apache.org> on 2021/06/10 23:12:02 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Pinot (Incubating) as a TLP

Hi all,

After a discussion with the community [1], voting [2], and a positive vote
result [3],

we believe Apache Pinot (Incubating) is ready for graduation to a TLP,

and we'd like to bring it up in discussion with the IPMC.

To list a few of the community's achievements:

   -

   7800+ contributions from 168 contributors
   -

   7 releases by various release managers
   -

   6 new committers and 2 new PPMCs invited (all accepted)
   -

   Diverse committers and PPMCs (from 7 companies/institutes)
   -

   Apache website setup [4]
   -

   Dev conversations at dev@pinot.apache.org
   -

   Assessed ourselves against the Apache Project maturity matrix [5]
   -

   We have built a meritocratic and open collaborative process (the Apache
   way)

[1] Community Discussion for Graduation
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r6068cae91a474e86595cc02d90701501d22c08274216301facf935cc%40%3Cdev.pinot.apache.org%3E>

[2] Voting Thread
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r9ca0b2ccc9b0fbdbee6a09aaf06b36ffd3a20e9cc1b810cdbe7c65d6%40%3Cdev.pinot.apache.org%3E>

[3] Voting Result
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rc371ca50ce8ff2d6c0b068165195526cfdbd08d915105573e17042d2%40%3Cdev.pinot.apache.org%3E>

[4] https://pinot.incubator.apache.org/

[5] Maturity Model Assessment
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PINOT/Apache+Maturity+Model+Assessment+for+Pinot>

Please see the proposed board resolution below and let us know what you

think.

The discussion will remain open for at least 72 hours.

-------------------

Establish the Apache Pinot Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of the
Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish a
Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public, related
to a distributed data integration framework that simplifies common aspects
of big data integration such as data ingestion, replication, organization
and lifecycle management for both streaming and batch data ecosystems.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee (PMC),
to be known as the "Apache Pinot Project", be and hereby is established
pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Pinot Project be and hereby is responsible for
the creation and maintenance of software related to distributed OLAP data
store to provide Real-time Analytics to power wide variety of analytical
use case; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Pinot" be and hereby
is created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction of the
Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Pinot Project, and to have
primary responsibility for management of the projects within the scope of
responsibility of the Apache Pinot Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Pinot Project:

   -

   Felix Cheung <fe...@apache.org>
   -

   Jackie Jiang <ja...@apache.org>
   -

   Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>
   -

   Kishore G <ki...@apache.org>
   -

   Mayank Shrivastava <ma...@apache.org>
   -

   Neha Pawar <ne...@apache.org>
   -

   Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>
   -

   Seunghyun Lee <sn...@apache.org>
   -

   Siddharth Teotia <si...@apache.org>
   -

   Subbu Subramaniam <mc...@apache.org>
   -

   Xiang Fu <xi...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Kishore Gopalakrishna be
appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Pinot, to serve in
accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and
the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
of disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Pinot Project be and hereby is tasked with the
migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Pinot podling; and be
it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Pinot podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
discharged.

-------------------

Thanks,
Mayank

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Pinot (Incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 4:42 AM Mayank Shrivastava <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
>    Siddharth Teotia <si...@apache.org>
>    -
>
>    Subbu Subramaniam <mc...@apache.org>
>    -
>
>    Xiang Fu <xi...@apache.org>
>

> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Kishore Gopalakrishna be
> appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Pinot, to serve in
> accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and
> the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
> of disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Apache Pinot Project be and hereby is tasked with the
> migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Pinot podling; and be
> it further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
> Pinot podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Pinot (Incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for that information.

> Presto references to Pinot have been replaced by Apache Pinot [3]. We do
> not own the Presto project, so cannot control other references such as
> Cassandra, etc.

But it is up to the project to make sure that its brand and trademarks are correctly used by 3rd parties, that includes projects you don’t own. The other Apache projects mentioned need to do the same.

> Confirmed that documentation on ThirdEye is still correct [8].

There is still some issues here, for instance click on “edit in GitHub” takes you to [1] There are still branding and trademark issues on [2]. This page has incorrect instructions on installing ThirdEye from the Pinot repo [3]. This still exists. [4] I’m still a little unclear on the licensing of ThirdEye, can you please explain that? Also can you give some detail on it history and why has it recently been moved out of the project [5]?

> There are no links pointing to [9] from the main page. The correct link
> should be [10]. Is there a place where this link needs to be removed from?

Look at the ThirdEye link under components in the footer of the home page.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/apache/incubator-pinot/blob/master/thirdeye/docs/index.rst
2. https://thirdeye.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html
3. https://thirdeye.readthedocs.io/en/latest/getting_started.html
4. https://github.com/apache/incubator-pinot/tree/9275a430049ff0d2888cb353fc7ef369d53a171c/docker/images/pinot-thirdeye
5. https://github.com/project-thirdeye/thirdeye

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Pinot (Incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mayank Shrivastava <ma...@apache.org>.
Hello Justin, Sheng & IPMC
Thanks so much for reviewing our proposal and your questions and
suggestions. Please find our response below, and let us know if you have
any questions, and suggest next steps.

Decision process for PMC: We follow discussion + voting protocol for adding
new PMCs. We would like to keep the process of adding new PMC members
separate from the graduation process, and go over the discussion and voting
process on a case by case basis.

VP candidate: The VP candidate was proposed aspart of the voting process
for graduation [1], and was accepted in the voting.

We checked with Jackie on him not being part of private@, and found that he
had issues in the past subscribing to the list. He is one of the top
contributors for the project [2], and is now subscribed to the private@
mailing list.

list.

Presto references to Pinot have been replaced by Apache Pinot [3]. We do
not own the Presto project, so cannot control other references such as
Cassandra, etc.

Licensing issues have been resolved [4] [5].

Added disclaimer in the main page to indicate that Presto and TE are not
part of ASF[6][7]

Confirmed that documentation on ThirdEye is still correct [8].

There are no links pointing to [9] from the main page. The correct link
should be [10]. Is there a place where this link needs to be removed from?

[1] Graduation Voting Thread
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r9ca0b2ccc9b0fbdbee6a09aaf06b36ffd3a20e9cc1b810cdbe7c65d6%40%3Cdev.pinot.apache.org%3E>

[2] Jackie’s Apache Pinot commits <https://github.com/Jackie-Jiang>

[3] Presto branding issue PR <https://github.com/prestodb/presto/pull/16273>

[4] Licensing Github Issue
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-pinot/issues/6785>

[5] PR for fixing Licensing Issue
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-pinot/pull/6944>

[6] Apache Pinot main page <https://pinot.apache.org/>

[7] PR adding the disclaimer about Presto/TE not part of ASF
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-pinot-site/pull/49/>

[8] TE Doc Page <https://docs.pinot.apache.org/integrations/thirdeye>

[9] Broken TE link pointed out by Justin
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-pinot/tree/master/thirdeye>
[10] Correct TE repo link <https://github.com/project-thirdeye/thirdeye>

Posted by Mayank Shrivastava <ma...@apache.org>.
Hello Justin, Sheng & IPMC

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pinot community

Glad and congrats you made this.
I did a review of your discussion thread, but I can't find the
decision process about PMC and V.P. candidates.
Could you share more context about this?
I can see you have a diversity committer list, should they be
considered as a PMC member during graduation?

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net> 于2021年6月12日周六 下午12:31写道:

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pinot community

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Xun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Xun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Xun Liu <li...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xun Liu <li...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org>.
+1 Pinot as an open source project has really grown and has a vibrant
community.

Abhishek

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org>.