Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by saibaba Duggirala <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2007/03/08 16:21:35 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: adding multiple SSLCACertificateFile in vhost.conf

hi,
can anyone please let me know what is the procedure to add multiple SSLCACertificateFile in vhost.conf in apache

So far we have been using only one file, shown below in vhost.conf
SSLCACertificateFile conf/ssl/nsm_ca1.cr

We would like to use another root certificate along with the above one , so is it as simple as adding another line like above
SSLCACertificateFile conf/ssl/nsm_ca_2.cr in vhost file or is there something else that I should be doing

Thanks,
saibaba

---------------------------------
 Get your own web address.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: adding multiple SSLCACertificateFile in vhost.conf

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On 3/8/07, saibaba Duggirala <sa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What if the second cert we took from a diff company

That on should allready be valid also, so just swap certs and restart
your server.

> In general the server should be able to support multiple CA certificate
> files right?Our web browsers does that now -isn't it -correct me please  if
> I  am wrong

You are. Apache can't support multiple certs on one signle IP. How is
apache to know which cert to sent to a browser upon connecting?

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland

Re: [users@httpd] Re: adding multiple SSLCACertificateFile in vhost.conf

Posted by matt farey <ma...@gmail.com>.

saibaba Duggirala wrote:
> What if the second cert we took from a diff company
> In general the server should be able to support multiple CA
> certificate files right?Our web browsers does that now -isn't it
> -correct me please  if I  am wrong

Limitation of Apache, 1 SSL vhost per IP.

BUT this article does explain how to get round it, hence why I sent it
to you:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-multissl.html#resources

you could use another port as well.

Posted by saibaba Duggirala <sa...@yahoo.com>.
> [...]

> > > can anyone please let me know what is the procedure to add
> multiple
> > > SSLCACertificateFile in vhost.conf in apache
> > >
> > > So far we have been using only one file, shown below in vhost.conf
> > > SSLCACertificateFile conf/ssl/nsm_ca1.cr
> > >
> > > We would like to use another root certificate along with the
> > above one
> > > , so is it as simple as adding another line like above
> > > SSLCACertificateFile conf/ssl/nsm_ca_2.cr in vhost file or is
> there
> > > something else that I should be doing
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > > saibaba
> > >
> > > Get your own web address.
> > >
> > > Have a HUGE year through Yahoo! Small Business.
> > >

> > depends on your setup, are you trying to host more than one SSL
> > enabled
> > servername on a single IP address, single NIC, or what?

Matthew Farey

---------------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] Re: adding multiple SSLCACertificateFile in vhost.conf

Posted by matt farey <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Da...@Notes.YMP.GOV.
Why would you need to support both SSL certificates?  From what I've seen
(at least with Verisign) when you renew a certificate, it adds the renewal
period to the end of your current expiration period, but is valid from the
date you renew!  As soon as you get the new certificate, you should be
able to use it.  You don't need to wait for the old one to expire to do
the swap.

Please respond to users@httpd.apache.org

To:     users@httpd.apache.org
cc:      (bcc: Dan Mitton/YD/RWDOE)