Posted to users@solr.apache.org by HariBabu kuruva <ha...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/07 10:00:29 UTC

Solr | OOM | Lazyfield

Hi All,

We are getting OOM errors in the solr logs for only specific solr stores.

And in the solr logs we see the below error. Is the OOM error could be
because of the below error.

Also i see below Lazyfield error is spanned across thousands of lines.

Please advise. This is a PROD environment.

---------------------------------
AsyncLogger error handling event seq=163,
value='Logger=org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerBase Level=ERROR
Message=org.apache.solr.
common.SolrException: ERROR: [doc=1-121180294489] multiple values
encountered for non multiValued field quoteSLOCurrentStatus: [org.apa
che.lucene.document.LazyDocument$LazyField@2b119ab6,
org.apache.lucene.document.LazyDocument$LazyField@70dc55ed,
org.apache.lucene.docu
ment.LazyDocument$LazyField@7dba464d,
org.apache.lucene.document.LazyDocument$LazyField@6cfa4d94,
org.apache.lucene.document.LazyDocume
nt$LazyField@4b19be97,
org.apache.lucene.document.LazyDocument$LazyField@5978e924,
org.apache.lucene.document.LazyDocument$LazyField@76
--------------------------

Thanks and Regards,
 Hari
Mobile:9790756568

Re: Solr | OOM | Lazyfield

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 9/7/2021 4:00 AM, HariBabu kuruva wrote:
> We are getting OOM errors in the solr logs for only specific solr stores.
>
> And in the solr logs we see the below error. Is the OOM error could be
> because of the below error.

There are precisely two ways to deal with OOME.  One is to increase the
size of the resource that has been depleted.  The other is to change
something so less of that resource is required.  Very frequently it is
not possible to accomplish the second option.  Increasing the resource
is very often the only solution.

Note that it might not actually be memory that is being depleted.  Java
throws OOME for several different resource exhaustion scenarios.  Some
examples of things that might run out before memory are max processes
per user or max open files.

You haven't shown us the OOME error, so we cannot advise you about what
you need to do.  Assuming that it is actually memory that is depleted...
Out of the box, Solr's max heap defaults to 512MB.  This is VERY small
and almost every user will need to increase it.  We made the default
heap small so that Solr would start on just about any hardware without
changing the config.

It is very unlikely that the place in the code where the OOME occurred
will reveal anything useful.  We just want to see it so we can see the
message logged at the beginning.  Also, any other errors you are seeing
are likely unrelated to the OOME.

If you're running Solr on a non-windows system, the bin/solr script
starts Solr with a Java option that causes Solr to kill itself when OOME
occurs.  It does this to protect itself -- Java program operation after
OOME is completely unpredictable and in the case of Solr/Lucene, could
corrupt the index.  We haven't yet done this for Windows.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr | OOM | Lazyfield

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 9/8/2021 8:05 AM, HariBabu kuruva wrote:
> I have checked with the DEV team regarding multivalue error. They say that :
>   the  fields which require/have multiple values were already set to
> multivalued=true . For non-multi valued fields also we are getting multiple
> values. That is the problem.

Are you using the atomic update feature?  There are very specific schema
requirements for Atomic Update. If you're not using Atomic Update, then
you can ignore this whole message. From the ref guide:

-------
The core functionality of atomically updating a document requires that
all fields in your schema must be configured as stored (stored="true")
or docValues (docValues="true") except for fields which are <copyField/>
destinations, which must be configured as stored="false". Atomic updates
are applied to the document represented by the existing stored field
values. All data in copyField destinations fields must originate from
ONLY copyField sources.

If <copyField/> destinations are configured as stored, then Solr will
attempt to index both the current value of the field as well as an
additional copy from any source fields. If such fields contain some
information that comes from the indexing program and some information
that comes from copyField, then the information which originally came
from the indexing program will be lost when an atomic update is made.

There are other kinds of derived fields that must also be set so they
aren't stored. Some spatial field types, such as BBoxField and
LatLonType, use derived fields. CurrencyFieldType also uses derived
fields. These types create additional fields which are normally
specified by a dynamic field definition. That dynamic field definition
must be not stored, or indexing will fail.
-------

That requires a little bit of an update -- definitions that must be
unstored must also have docValues set to false.

If copyField is in use and destinations are stored, that could lead to
multiple values when using atomic update.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr | OOM | Lazyfield

Posted by HariBabu kuruva <ha...@gmail.com>.