Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Rene Cordier <rc...@apache.org> on 2023/11/06 03:46:24 UTC

Upgrade James to JDK17?

Hello guys,

Well currently James is based on JDK 11. Should we think about upgrading
to at least the next LTS, JDK 17? (or why even not the current LTS,
which is the JDK 21?) I saw it being asked by a community member on a PR
a while ago (Antoine Duprat) and in our company, we would be glad for
such an upgrade as well.

Might need a bit of work but the project could definitely benefit from
it: records (finish the long verbose POJOs), pattern matching, better GC
handling, etc.

Would other people be interested about it too? Is it a problem for some
others in the community?

Rene.

Re: Upgrade James to JDK17?

Posted by Wojtek <wo...@unir.se>.
Definitely good idea.

For what it's worth, we already run James on JDK17 (it was finally possible after getting rid of
serialization library a while back; probably jump to JDK21 would be fine as well right now).

 From building point of view (thus enforcing minimal JDK to be run on) - I don't see why anyone
would still would want to stick with version 11. Java picked up speed and it's a good thing.

Wojtek

Re: Upgrade James to JDK17?

Posted by Jean Helou <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rene

I would be delighted as a developer,and it's not really an issue for my run
as I use the docker images

One thing to keep in mind is the enforcement of jigsaw modules this
could be great in the long run (reduced jre.size with excluded modules)
But it can also be a pain requiring passing command line arguments to
enable opens required by libs.

I'm not sure how bad it will be for James but at work we ended up using
allopens which kinda defeats the purpose

But still go, staying on an EOLed jre is bad for dev exp and operational
security

Jean