Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2006/08/16 23:33:53 UTC

10.2 documentation reviews : choosing a style

Yip added an entry for Reference Manual, which I reformatted to a table
format incorporating (I hope) comments by Laura and Rajesh.

how does this look?

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ReferenceManualTenTwo

If people like this style, I'll initialize tables for the other wiki pages.

 -jean

Re: 10.2 documentation reviews : choosing a style

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Rajesh Kartha wrote:
> I have updated the http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ReferenceManualTenTwo
> page to create:
> - a main table with all major sections in the Reference manual  with
> 'Reviewers' and 'Status' as the
>  other fields.
> - empty subtables for adding comments
> - anchors to subtables

I modified it slightly to more clearly separate the summary section from
the summary details section. If I messed up your strategy, let me know.

> I hope this will make it easier for doc review sign up and providing
> comments.
>
> Too many things going on, so I am kind of tied up at the moment. Hence
> would appreciate if
> somebody can create similar wikis for the other  Derby documents.

I initialized the other pages with the skeleton of the summary and
subsection details, but don't have time to fill in the level of detail
you put on the page for the Reference Manual.

that should be enough to get people started filling in details as they
spot them.

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>Laura Stewart wrote:
>

>>On 8/16/06, Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Laura Stewart wrote:
>>>
>>>The current one looks good. I was thinking  rather than putting all
>>>the comments in one table, if we can divide into multiple tables
>>>based on the main sections of the document:
>>>

>>Either way works for me, I search on section name to locate the
>>filename to be changed.
>>

>Rajesh, how about if you just go ahead and update to what you want?
>
>Do you want to add tables for other books? or would you like me to do a
>base table initialization so folks can get started?
>
> -jean

I have updated the http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ReferenceManualTenTwo
page to create:
- a main table with all major sections in the Reference manual  with
'Reviewers' and 'Status' as the
  other fields.
- empty subtables for adding comments
- anchors to subtables

I hope this will make it easier for doc review sign up and providing
comments.

Too many things going on, so I am kind of tied up at the moment. Hence
would appreciate if
somebody can create similar wikis for the other  Derby documents.

Regards,
Rajesh

Re: 10.2 documentation reviews : choosing a style

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by Laura Stewart <sc...@gmail.com>.

--
Laura Stewart

Re: 10.2 documentation reviews : choosing a style

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.
Laura Stewart wrote:

>> On 8/16/06, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>> > Yip added an entry for Reference Manual, which I reformatted to a
>> table
>> > format incorporating (I hope) comments by Laura and Rajesh.
>> >
>> > how does this look?
>> >

> This is great. Can you bold the titles of the columns?

The current one looks good. I was thinking  rather than putting all
the comments in one table, if we can divide into multiple tables
based on the main sections of the document:

An example:

*Section *- SQL Language Reference - SQL Statements  (Reviewers: Yip, ..)

*Sub Section name                HTML Url/Pdf        Reviewer
Comment*

DECLARE GLOBAL           Link                  Yip       Under
Restrictions on....
TEMPORARY TABLE
statement

CREATE SCHEMA             Link               Rajesh       Need some
correction..
statement

Derby members can add themselves to the Reviewer's list  to indicate
sections being reviewed.

Regards,
Rajesh

Re: 10.2 documentation reviews : choosing a style

Posted by Laura Stewart <sc...@gmail.com>.
Looks just great, thanks!
Please use that format for the other books.

--
Laura Stewart

Re: 10.2 documentation reviews : choosing a style

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Laura Stewart wrote:
>> On 8/16/06, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>> > Yip added an entry for Reference Manual, which I reformatted to a table
>> > format incorporating (I hope) comments by Laura and Rajesh.
>> >
>> > how does this look?
>
> This is great. Can you bold the titles of the columns?

It's now emboldened -- do feel free to tweak it.

Posted by Laura Stewart <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yip Ng <yi...@gmail.com>.
The tabular format looks good.  =) Thanks Jean!

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Thanks, Jean, this is great! As you add these pages could you wire them
> into the 10.2 wiki page (http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoRelease),
> perhaps under the "10.2 Documentation Issues" section?

will do -- I had added it to the Upcoming Releases section on the Front
Page -- oops! :-)

 -jean

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.