Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by jiang licht <li...@yahoo.com> on 2010/08/20 22:31:56 UTC

Supersede a data node help: how to move all files out of a Hadoop data node?

Requirement: I want to get rid of a data node machine. But it has useful data that is still in use. So, I want to move all its files/blocks to other live data nodes in the same cluster.

Question: I understand that if a data node is down for a certain amount of time, it will be marked as "dead" and Hadoop will automatically generate a new replication on another live data node for each block on the dead node. So, sooner or later, all files/blocks on the dead data node will be replicated (or "moved") to other data node machines.  My question is:

Is it possible that this process can be explicitly controlled such that I know when all the missing blocks on the dead node are replicated to other live nodes?

What is the recommended way to do this?

How to check there is no missing blocks (or under replication)?

Thanks,

Michael

Re: Supersede a data node help: how to move all files out of a Hadoop data node?

Posted by jiang licht <li...@yahoo.com>.
Is there a throttle settings to control how fast the decommissioning can be?

Thanks,

Michael

Posted by jiang licht <li...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks, that is what I want. BTW, what a shame, I knew it but totally become ignorant of it for a while :(

Best regards,

Michael

--
Harsh J
www.harshj.com

Re: Supersede a data node help: how to move all files out of a Hadoop data node?

Posted by Harsh J <qw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jiang licht <li...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks, Edward.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.