Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jerry Crone <Je...@weblinkwireless.com> on 2002/03/11 18:51:29 UTC

Throughput question

We are considering various mail servers. What is the throughput using
James on decent hardware running Solaris? In our case all inbound
messages will be deposited in local mailboxes. We will probably have
another MTA (Sendmail, Postfix, or Qmail) ahead of it to filter spam and
fix headers. I just saw a posting where it took a mail server a few
hours to recover from a backlog of 1000 messages. Yikes! If this
question has already been answered, please point me to it.

Thanks, Jerry Crone
Weblink Wireless

Re: Throughput question

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
I don't think James's strength is performance, but generally when I stress
test it on my windows box, I see 1 to a few messages processed and delivered
per second.  If it's to a local inbox, it's an order of magnitude faster
since there's no slow-down from a remote connection and server.  So,
conservatively 1/second is around 3000-4000 an hour.  I think the 1000
messages taking a few hours to be cleared up was either to deliver to lots
of remote hosts or from an older version.  The other big performance problem
is the JDBC repository seems to slow down exponentially with the size of the
message, but as long as it's less than 100k, you will see very good response
times.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/