Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Marvin <no...@apache.org> on 2012/12/01 16:26:16 UTC

Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc])

Dear podling,

This email was sent by an automated system on behalf of the Apache Incubator PMC.
It is an initial reminder to give you plenty of time to prepare your quarterly
board report.

The board meeting is scheduled for Wed, 19 December 2012, 10:00:00 PST. The report
for your podling will form a part of the Incubator PMC report. The Incubator PMC
requires your report to be submitted 2 weeks before the board meeting, to allow
sufficient time for review and submission (Wed, Dec 5th).

Please submit your report with sufficient time to allow the incubator PMC, and
subsequently board members to review and digest. Again, the very latest you
should submit your report is 2 weeks prior to the board meeting.

Thanks,

The Apache Incubator PMC

Submitting your Report
----------------------

Your report should contain the following:

 * Your project name
 * A brief description of your project, which assumes no knowledge of the project
   or necessarily of its field
 * A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards
   graduation.
 * Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of
 * How has the community developed since the last report
 * How has the project developed since the last report.

This should be appended to the Incubator Wiki page at:

  http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/December2012

Note: This manually populated. You may need to wait a little before this page is
      created from a template.

Mentors
-------
Mentors should review reports for their project(s) and sign them off on the
Incubator wiki page. Signing off reports shows that you are following the
project - projects that are not signed may raise alarms for the Incubator PMC.

Incubator PMC

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc])

Posted by "Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona" <jg...@bitergia.com>.
On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 22:04 +0000, Ross Gardler wrote:

> > > Well that's just it, we (the ASF) are not interested in that kind of
> > > statistic.
> >
> > If I might clarify something that Ross is saying here ... (and taking the
> > remark completely out of context to make the point)
> >
> > Alvaro's and Jesus's contribution to this project is all about statistics
> > - statistics that are very valuable in measuring the activity and health of
> > a project. We, the Allura project, are VERY interested in this kind of
> > statistic.

> When Ross says that we (the ASF) are not interested in that kind of
> > statistic, he is *not* saying that your contributions aren't welcome or
> > wanted on the Allura project, but rather that the ASF governance (the
> > board) is interested in other kinds of things in reports to the board.
>

> Thanks for clarifying this Rich. I can assure the community that this is
> indeed what I meant. In fact I said as much in the same mail the above
> quote is taken from:
>
> "Note, this doesn't mean individual PMCs would not find these indicators
> helpful."
>
> I hope nobody misunderstood my comments in the way Rich feels they may
> have. If anyone did please be reassured so I concur with Rich'
> clarifications.
>
> Ross

Once again, thanks for taking the time to clarify. But in this case, I
had understood Ross exactly that way. After all, we have talked some
times about metrics, Ross ;-)

Saludos,

	Jesus.

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc])

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by "Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona" <jg...@bitergia.com>.
On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 16:45 -0500, Rich Bowen wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2012, at 1:57 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
> >> But a close-to-zero month
> >> for those parameters says a lot about how inactive the community is, if
> >> you're interested in that.
> >
> > Well that's just it, we (the ASF) are not interested in that kind of
> > statistic.
>
> If I might clarify something that Ross is saying here ... (and taking the remark completely out of context to make the point)
>
> Alvaro's and Jesus's contribution to this project is all about statistics - statistics that are very valuable in measuring the activity and health of a project. We, the Allura project, are VERY interested in this kind of statistic. And as a community manager (and thus end-user of this particular feature), I'm very interested in having these kinds of statistics available about the projects I work with - not so that I can say that *this* project is a 8 and therefore worth my time, and *that* one is a 3 and not worth my time, but rather as a high-level dashboard to watch the project's health over time.
>
> When Ross says that we (the ASF) are not interested in that kind of statistic, he is *not* saying that your contributions aren't welcome or wanted on the Allura project, but rather that the ASF governance (the board) is interested in other kinds of things in reports to the board. The board is interested in the things specifically listed here: http://apache.org/foundation/board/reporting.  One of those items is the "overall activity in the project over the past quarter", which can be interpreted a number of ways, but probably should be as brief as possible to receive the message. If a project has no releases for a quarter, or no commits for a quarter, the board isn't terribly concerned - there's many reasons that might happen. If a project has no commits for two years, we're going to be concerned.
>
> I don't know if you took Ross's statement that way, but it occurred to me while I was reading it, that in the context of a board report, he's completely correct, but if you read that in the context of your contributions to the project, it might result in the wrong conclusions. After all, we added you to the PMC as a result of those contributions.

Thanks a lot for the clarification, Rich. In this case, however, no, I
didn't take Ross comments as "we don't want this for Allura", but, in
the line you mention, "for the current practices of the board with
regard to incubating porjects, maybe some brief numbers are useful, but
the rest in an overkill".

Which I guess I agree, after the explanations and comments by Ross.

Saludos,

	Jesus.

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com>.
Hi!

El mié, 08-05-2013 a las 09:49 +0100, Rui Ferreira escribió:
> I'm travelling so it might take a day or two to get started on this.
> Where should i pull the latest version of the Bitergia module from?

There is a branch with the code:

http://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/5518/

Cheers

--
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Rui Ferreira <rf...@av.it.pt>.

Posted by Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com>.
Hi!

--
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Rui Ferreira <rf...@av.it.pt>.
Hi

Posted by Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com>.
Dear all,

> [...]

I think we don't need bleeding edge for our metrics plugin for Allura.

Cheers

> BR, Rui
>

> > Roberto
> >

> > > Cheers!

> > > code

> > > continue

> > --
> > ====
> > This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It
> > may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the
> > intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
> > distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly
> > prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
> > notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any
> > attachment(s) from your system. Thank you.

  |   |
-ooo-ooo-

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Rui Ferreira <rf...@av.it.pt>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Apr 16, 2013, at 6:41 AM, Alvaro del Castillo wrote:

> Yes, you are right. 4 months. I am sorry about that.
>
> We have been working so hard in developing the product and using it to
> create reports and dashboards that I have not found time to reintegrate
> all in Allura an continue the development.

Ok, I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't something blocking you on this side. Please speak up if anyone can help in any way.

--Rich

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

--
====

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com>.

--
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

--
====

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com>.
Dear all,

--
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Jan 8, 2013, at 10:53 PM, Alvaro del Castillo wrote:

> Thanks Rich. This is just a proposal and I hope it will be obsoleted in
> the future with new developments. But I will have this in mind next
> time.
>
> In any case, the screenshots are now also in a blog post about the
> integration:
> http://blog.bitergia.com/2013/01/02/project-analytics-integrated-into-allura/

Alvaro, we haven't heard from you in a few months and I was wondering what the status is of your project. Are there any blockers on the Allura side that are preventing you from moving forward with integrating your changes into the Allura code?

Posted by Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com>.
Hi Rich,

--
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com>.
El vie, 28-12-2012 a las 08:22 +0100, Alvaro del Castillo escribió:
> El vie, 28-12-2012 a las 08:13 +0100, Alvaro del Castillo escribió:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > El jue, 27-12-2012 a las 20:24 +0100, Alvaro del Castillo escribió:
> > > Hi all!

> > > I have committed it to branch acs2/5518.
> > >
> > > You can check it with:
> > >
> > > git checkout -t origin/acs2/5518
> > >
> > > It is our last version, VizGrimoireJS 0.1.0, and some issues still
> > > remains in the integration (Envision graphs labels don't show correctly
> > > inside Allura). But the hard work for the integration is done.
> > >
> > > Tomorrow I will add the Apache license to all the code and I think I
> > > will need 2-3 days to clean up everything and add more visualizations.
> > >
> > > As a reference you can expect with this library inside allura vizs like:
> > >
> > > http://bitergia.com/public/previews/VizGrimoireJS/examples/milestone0/index.html
> >
> > I have added the Apache license to the code, fix the visualizations
> > problems and add new graphs.
>
> s/add/added
>

> > Attached two screenshots of the integration.
>
> Hmmm, it seems the attachments are not in the email. Reattached.

It seems the mailing list does not accept attachments.

I have uploaded them to Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qdkcgk7rnb6mw7a/NVEcgHPrBJ/AlluraVizGrimoire

Kind regards!

--
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com>.

--
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com>.
Hi all,

--
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com>.
Hi Olemis,

El vie, 28-12-2012 a las 02:54 -0500, Olemis Lang escribió:
> On 12/27/12, Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com> wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >

> :)
>
> > El mié, 19-12-2012 a las 10:51 +0100, Alvaro del Castillo escribió:
> >> Hi Dave!

> [...]
> >
> > I have committed it to branch acs2/5518.
> >
> [...]
> >
> > As a reference you can expect with this library inside allura vizs like:
> >
> > http://bitergia.com/public/previews/VizGrimoireJS/examples/milestone0/index.html
> >

> JFTR , that page seems not to be working for me neither in Opera nor
> Firefox nor Google Chrome .
>
> :'(
>
> I might be missing something though .

The sample was missing two basic files removed in a cleanup process. I
am sorry.

It is already working.

Thanks!
--
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 12/27/12, Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com> wrote:
> Hi all!

:)

> El mié, 19-12-2012 a las 10:51 +0100, Alvaro del Castillo escribió:
>> Hi Dave!
>>
>> El lun, 17-12-2012 a las 15:08 -0500, Dave Brondsema escribió:
>> > On 12/13/12 4:45 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:

[...]
>> > Alvaro, would you like to commit the bitergia metrics front-end to the
>> > Allura repo?
>
> I have committed it to branch acs2/5518.

[...]
> As a reference you can expect with this library inside allura vizs like:
>
> http://bitergia.com/public/previews/VizGrimoireJS/examples/milestone0/index.html

JFTR , that page seems not to be working for me neither in Opera nor
Firefox nor Google Chrome .

:'(

I might be missing something though .

Olemis.

<es>Feliz navidad . Felices fiestas . Feliz año nuevo</es>
<en>Merry christmas . Happy holidays . Happy new year</en>
<fr>Joyeux noël . Bonne année !</fr>

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com>.
Hi all!

--
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 19 December 2012 09:51, Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com> wrote:

> All the code we are going to upload will be under Apache license. And
> our dependencies:
>
> * Flotr2: MIT
> * Envision: MIT
> * Gridster: MIT
> * jQuery: MIT
>
> This Javascript community seems to like MIT license :)
>
> I think there are no probs using MIT license in Apache projects.

That is  correct.

The canonical source of answers to license compatibility questions is the
Legal Affairs committee who maintain a record of previous decisions at [1].
If the license in question is not on that page the committee maintains a
JIRA instance for new enquiries [2].

Ross

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL

Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com>.
Hi Dave!

--
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-

contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
On 12/13/12 4:45 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> Alvaro's and Jesus's contribution to this project is all about statistics -
> statistics that are very valuable in measuring the activity and health of a
> project. We, the Allura project, are VERY interested in this kind of statistic.

Alvaro, would you like to commit the bitergia metrics front-end to the Allura repo?

We had some conversations about it here a few months ago, and even voted to have
you join the PMC so that you could contribute more directly.  But we have
forgotten about this a bit I guess, and I wanted to revive the topic.

I saw a test commit from you a while ago, so I don't think there's anything
blocking you from contributing this.  Unless there is still some GPL code -
we're trying to factor out the GPL code, not add more to our repo :)

You could put it in a branch initially.  I think it'll be ok to merge to master
after we make sure it plays well with the other tools.  Probably just need to
set status='beta' since it doesn't work out-of-the-box for projects yet.

-Dave

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc])

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Sent from my tablet
On Dec 12, 2012 6:25 PM, "Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona" <jg...@bitergia.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-12-12 at 17:29 +0000, Ross Gardler wrote:
> > Sent from my tablet
> > On Dec 12, 2012 5:21 PM, "Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona" <jg...@bitergia.com>
> > wrote:

> > specifics to the report, please let me know what you'd like to add.
> > > >

> > > I don't know if it would make sense to either include some numbers
(such
> > > as number of commits, committers, etc for the period) or charts (those
> > > could be screenshots of the charts in the report, linking to the
report,
> > > or we could build some JPEG figures if that suits better. It all
depends
> > > on the level of detail you consider reasonable.
> >
> > Generally speaking statistics are not important at all. They tell us
> > nothing about the health of a community, whcih is all a board report
should
> > be concerned with. A single prolific contributor, or one seeking
> > tommanipulate the stats, can make the stats look good, but that doesn't
> > mean the community is healthy. That being said some numbers are useful
> > indicators.
> >
> > When reviewing reports I'm interested in when the last release was made,
> > that patch queues are not growing, that new committers are being
brought in
> > etc. Notice all these are about community health (i.e. new users get
early
> > access, contributors are getting attention, the community is
> > creating/maintaining diversity), rather than about technical engagements
> > (number of posts to mailing lists, number of commits etc.). If you can
> > include infomlike this it would be good.
> >
> > All that being said I think it would be good to include any stats you
think
> > might be useful and ask the IPMC and board for feedback on their
utility in
> > board reports.
>
> Thanks for the feedback, Ross.
>
> This is quite interesting. When producing a report, it is much better if
> we know what we're looking for. If you're interested, we could talk
> (maybe off-list, to avoid noise to people not interested) about what
> could be interesting for this purpose, and we can try to figure out how
> to produce useful data. If we can script it, the data could later be
> produced automatically. Let me know if you have time / interest to give
> this idea a try.

Since the data is coming from Allura I'd say keep it here. Some of the data
needed may not be exposed yet.

> But a close-to-zero month
> for those parameters says a lot about how inactive the community is, if
> you're interested in that.

Well that's just it, we (the ASF) are not interested in that kind of
statistic. Projects go quiet for many different reasons, including heakthy
ones (e.g. feature complete and innmaintenance mode). All we care about is
whether the community is healthy (e.g. security reports are addressed even
in maintenance stage projects). The ASF board (or at least this board
member) is not interested in what the stats say, we are interested in
whether there are people keeping ready to respond when necessary.

> More complementary information
> may be needed, of course, to reach conclusions.

That complimentary information is provided by the human beings who write
the board reports. As a director I don't want to spend my time looking for
it because a misleading stat is flashing a red light.

Note, this doesn't mean individual PMCs would not find these indicators
helpful. I am only saying that people outside the project, those without
the complimentary information, can be misled by stats.

As for what would be useful (in a board report as opposed to PMC dashboard)
I think the items I identified in my first mail are valuable. You could
also look at the clutch report and see if you can provide more complete
information behind the data points in that. See
http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html

Ross

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc])

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Dec 12, 2012, at 1:24 PM, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona wrote:

> This is quite interesting. When producing a report, it is much better if
> we know what we're looking for.

The best thing to read with regard to what we, the board, are looking for, is http://apache.org/foundation/board/reporting

Of course, that leaves a LOT of room for individual interpretation, but it should give some idea. A lot of report contain number of (active) committers, size of mailing lists, number of posts to mailing lists, number and dates of releases. If it gets much more detailed than that, someone is likely to call Too Much Information.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc])

Posted by "Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona" <jg...@bitergia.com>.
On Wed, 2012-12-12 at 17:29 +0000, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Sent from my tablet
> On Dec 12, 2012 5:21 PM, "Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona" <jg...@bitergia.com>
> wrote:

> > > Thanks. I've updated the URL in the report, but if you'd like to add
> specifics to the report, please let me know what you'd like to add.
> > >

> > I don't know if it would make sense to either include some numbers (such
> > as number of commits, committers, etc for the period) or charts (those
> > could be screenshots of the charts in the report, linking to the report,
> > or we could build some JPEG figures if that suits better. It all depends
> > on the level of detail you consider reasonable.
>
> Generally speaking statistics are not important at all. They tell us
> nothing about the health of a community, whcih is all a board report should
> be concerned with. A single prolific contributor, or one seeking
> tommanipulate the stats, can make the stats look good, but that doesn't
> mean the community is healthy. That being said some numbers are useful
> indicators.
>
> When reviewing reports I'm interested in when the last release was made,
> that patch queues are not growing, that new committers are being brought in
> etc. Notice all these are about community health (i.e. new users get early
> access, contributors are getting attention, the community is
> creating/maintaining diversity), rather than about technical engagements
> (number of posts to mailing lists, number of commits etc.). If you can
> include infomlike this it would be good.
>
> All that being said I think it would be good to include any stats you think
> might be useful and ask the IPMC and board for feedback on their utility in
> board reports.

Thanks for the feedback, Ross.

This is quite interesting. When producing a report, it is much better if
we know what we're looking for. If you're interested, we could talk
(maybe off-list, to avoid noise to people not interested) about what
could be interesting for this purpose, and we can try to figure out how
to produce useful data. If we can script it, the data could later be
produced automatically. Let me know if you have time / interest to give
this idea a try.

I also understand your concerns about the meaning of parameters and the
possibilities of cheating. Numbers are just numbers, you have to
interpret them. The fact that somebody has a weight of 160 kg and a
height of 1.70 m doesn't say if that person is healthy or happy. But
maybe that can give an useful indicator. The case of the general stats
for a project is the same. Having a large number of commits and
committers doesn't imply a lot of action in a community, and of course
it says nothing about the code being produced. But a close-to-zero month
for those parameters says a lot about how inactive the community is, if
you're interested in that. The distribution of the time-to-attend or
time-to-close tickets is not a direct indicator of anything, but it
could signal problems or improvements. More complementary information
may be needed, of course, to reach conclusions. WRT cheating, well, good
will is assumed. A written report on the status of a project could also
be cheated.

But I know you know all of this ;-) I don't want to convince anybody.
Just if this can be helpful, let's go on. If it can't, let's forget
about it. Probably the best thing is to focus in trying to show
parameters that could be of interest for the specific purpose you
mention: help in the evaluation of incubator projects.

Again, thanks a lot for your feedback.

Saludos,

	Jesus.

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc])

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Sent from my tablet

Posted by "Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona" <jg...@bitergia.com>.
On Wed, 2012-12-12 at 12:36 -0500, Rich Bowen wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2012, at 12:20 PM, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona wrote:
>
> >> Thanks. I've updated the URL in the report, but if you'd like to add specifics to the report, please let me know what you'd like to add.
> >>

> > I don't know if it would make sense to either include some numbers (such
> > as number of commits, committers, etc for the period) or charts (those
> > could be screenshots of the charts in the report, linking to the report,
> > or we could build some JPEG figures if that suits better. It all depends
> > on the level of detail you consider reasonable.
>
> As a board member, I'd say that the level of detail we consider
> reasonable could include high-level numbers like number of commits,
> committers, mailing list messages, and so on, particularly when, as
> for an incubating project, they represent our growth in diversity, and
> project activity. I think that the link to the report, containing the
> images, is sufficient and including links to individual graphs is
> probably overkill, particularly when our incubation report is one of
> dozens within the incubator board report, which is in turn one of
> dozens of reports in the overall board report.

Thanks for the feedback. We can certainly provide a table with numbers,
such as absolute number of committers, ticket closers, etc. and
increment for the last month and three months, for example. I'm not sure
we can do this for this report, but we'll try.

Saludos,

	Jesus.

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc])

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by "Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona" <jg...@bitergia.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com>.
Hi guys,

El mar, 04-12-2012 a las 10:53 -0500, Rich Bowen escribió:
> On Dec 4, 2012, at 10:19 AM, Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
> > Looks like Rich added our report to
> > http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/December2012 so we're ready for mentor
> > sign-off.  In general@i.a.o, Benson asked for all mentors to sign off on this
> > month's report.
>
> If anyone has any further changes, please just let me know. We can make changes up until the 15th.

We have updated our Allura report:

http://bitergia.com/public/previews/allura/2012_12_allura/

In Bitergia we are reviewing all the data to be sure are ok.

Maybe we can use some of this report info for the PMC/Board report.

Cheers
--
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc])

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <db...@geek.net>.
Thanks, Rich.  I made some changes.

Alvaro, looking forward to that :)

--
Dave Brondsema
Principal Software Engineer - sf.net

--
====

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc])

Posted by Alvaro del Castillo <ac...@bitergia.com>.
Hi guys,

El lun, 03-12-2012 a las 11:52 -0500, Rich Bowen escribió:
> On Dec 1, 2012, at 10:26 AM, Marvin wrote:
>

> > Dear podling,
> >
> > This email was sent by an automated system on behalf of the Apache Incubator PMC.
> > It is an initial reminder to give you plenty of time to prepare your quarterly
> > board report.
> >
> > The board meeting is scheduled for Wed, 19 December 2012, 10:00:00 PST. The report
> > for your podling will form a part of the Incubator PMC report. The Incubator PMC
> > requires your report to be submitted 2 weeks before the board meeting, to allow
> > sufficient time for review and submission (Wed, Dec 5th).
>

> I've drafted a report at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fy-AGxEVkZWkF6JP6ipr3FYKEB77Yjef2cKqIKcnjJ0/edit
>
> Please pitch in if you want to change/add anything

We are working in a Visual Report about Allura activity using this
format:

http://blog.bitergia.com/2012/12/03/complete-basic-analysis-of-mediawiki/

Once we have finished it we will inform you to include it in the report
if you find it useful·

Cheers!
--
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer
 |  V  |  http://www.bitergia.com
  |   |
-ooo-ooo-

Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc])

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.