Posted to dev@training.apache.org by Andrew Wetmore <an...@apache.org> on 2020/10/05 18:05:29 UTC

Questions about building a presentation

Hi:

I am looking to try out the training tool. The instructions Chris shared
recently say, in part, that when I use Maven to build a presentation, "This
will ask you for a group-id, artifact-id, version and a package-name
and as soon as you have provided them, will generate your new presentation."

What are the parameters for those fields? Can I make up any group? I
presume I can name the presentation in artifact-id whatever I want, but is
it all alphanumeric with no spaces or punctuation? Does the version follow
XX.yy.zz structure, or can I do something like "test"? What are the limits,
if any, to a package-name?

ty

Andrew Wetmore
Technical Writer-Editor
Infra
*Apache Software Foundation*
andreww@apache.org

Re: Questions about building a presentation

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Andrew,

and thanks Gautam for jumping in here.

Well in general you can make up any groupId artifactId and version you want as long as they follow the Maven naming convention:
https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-naming-conventions.html

If you plan to submit a training to the repo, I would suggest to go with a groupId like "org.apache.training".
In any other case, you're free to choose whatever you like

Hope this information helps.

Chris

Am 05.10.20, 23:00 schrieb "gautam gupta" <gr...@gmail.com>:

    Hi Andrew,
    These are the sample parameters I gave for test project:
    Downloaded from central:
    https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/training/content-archetype/1.0.0/content-archetype-1.0.0.jar
    (483 kB at 756 kB/s)
    Define value for property 'groupId': foo
    Define value for property 'artifactId': gtArtifact
    Define value for property 'version' 1.0-SNAPSHOT: :
    Define value for property 'package' foo: :
    [INFO] Using property: apacheTrainingToolsVersion = 1.0.0
    Confirm properties configuration:
    groupId: foo
    artifactId: gtArtifact
    version: 1.0-SNAPSHOT
    package: foo
    apacheTrainingToolsVersion: 1.0.0
     Y: :

    It will create a folder name gtArtifact in content directory.  After that
    you can do cd gtArtifact and then run the command "mvn package"
    This command will create the sample presentation at
    "content/gtArtifact/target/generated-slides/index.html"
    You can open this file in your browser to see the presentation.

    thanks,
    Gautam

Posted by gautam gupta <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,