Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2010/03/15 18:23:54 UTC

Board Reports and Wiki Markup

Reminder: please do not use any wiki markup, other than the = Project =
seperator.  That is the only wiki markup preserved -- unless I miss some --
when we send the report to the Board, which has always requested that all
wiki markup be removed.  So putting any into your report only makes busy
work for me.  :-)

Mentors, please do me a favor, and if you see wiki markup in your report(s)
when you are signing off on them, remove it.  :-)

Yes, putting in bulleted lists is fine; it looks normal in a plain text
report.

	--- Noel

Re: Board Reports and Wiki Markup

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 16/03/2010, at 4:23 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Reminder: please do not use any wiki markup, other than the = Project =
> seperator.  That is the only wiki markup preserved -- unless I miss some --
> when we send the report to the Board, which has always requested that all
> wiki markup be removed.  So putting any into your report only makes busy
> work for me.  :-)
>
> Mentors, please do me a favor, and if you see wiki markup in your report(s)
> when you are signing off on them, remove it.  :-)
>
> Yes, putting in bulleted lists is fine; it looks normal in a plain text
> report.

Though numbered lists need to be:
1.
2.
3.

Not the wiki-like:
1.
1.
1.

:)

I'd also note that the "questions" that many have in the template are there as a guide for writing relevant sentences, not necessarily for retaining in the report in Q&A format.

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: Board Reports and Wiki Markup

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:28 AM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
>> I sort of wonder if folks aren't editing the page in wysiwyg/rich view?
>
> Can that be disabled without doing so for the entire wiki?

I took the liberty of surrounding the relevant parts of future report
pages in a {{{ preformatted code section }}} that disables all other
wiki markup. I believe that should work even for people using a rich
text editor.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

RE: Board Reports and Wiki Markup

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 6/17/2010 4:17 AM, Florent Guillaume wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
>>> AGAIN, A REMINDER: *DO NOT* use any wiki markup, other than the = Project =
>>> seperator or lists.
>>>
>>> Once again, I have had to strip out this garbage when preparing the report.
>>
>> I think the target of your frustration are not listening. Perhaps a
>> broadcast to offending private-xyz@i.a.o is the only way...
>
> Perhaps a prominent notice at the top of
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/July2010 and subsequent pages would
> help?

It's been there and prominent for years.

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
>> AGAIN, A REMINDER: *DO NOT* use any wiki markup, other than the = Project =
>> seperator or lists.
>>
>> Once again, I have had to strip out this garbage when preparing the report.
>
> I think the target of your frustration are not listening. Perhaps a
> broadcast to offending private-xyz@i.a.o is the only way...

Perhaps a prominent notice at the top of
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/July2010 and subsequent pages would
help?

Florent

Re: Board Reports and Wiki Markup

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> AGAIN, A REMINDER: *DO NOT* use any wiki markup, other than the = Project =
> seperator or lists.
>
> Once again, I have had to strip out this garbage when preparing the report.

I think the target of your frustration are not listening. Perhaps a
broadcast to offending private-xyz@i.a.o is the only way...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

RE: Board Reports and Wiki Markup

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Reminder: please do not use any wiki markup, other than the = Project =
> seperator or lists.

Was there something unclear about this?  Which part of DO NOT USE WIKI
MARKUP was unclear?  This was by far THE WORST report, from an editing
perspective, in at least a year.

	--- Noel