Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Billy <sa...@pearsonwholesale.com> on 2007/12/11 22:41:37 UTC

question about region placement in hbase

I have a small setup I am running this on its 3 servers a master and
namenode and the other 2 are datanodes and region servers.

when I restart the services always the regions from one of my tables get put
all on one server so I have

server 1: Root
server 2: META, tablepart1,tablepart2,tablepart3,tablepart4

Vary rare does the table parts get split on to more then one server.

Is there some rule that is happening to place these on different server?

I thank when starting up master and all region server the tables parts
should be placed in round ribbon fashion then as load is applied table parts
moved / placed based on load on region servers.

Re: question about region placement in hbase

Posted by Billy <sa...@pearsonwholesale.com>.
I tried that and one point I had one table with 6 regions all on the same
server. no big deal right now just wanted to know that there was work to be
done on it.

Thanks
Billy

Posted by Billy <sa...@pearsonwholesale.com>.
Little Update for who every works on this issue looks like the .meta. region
get assigned and that server will not get any more regions because it
handling load request for the other servers this might balance out once the
meta table splits and get put on mult servers then each server would still
get request so over all load should be close to the same. I would suggest
doing a round ribbon loading of regions on start ups as this would better
load the tables then as needed reassign the tables using some kind of
load balancing setup.

Just some thoughts.

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Hey Billy: