Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Ashay <as...@yahoo.com> on 2003/06/12 16:04:33 UTC

Using ICU for supporting other encodings

Hi,

I am using Xerces2.2 and Xalan 1.5.

I need my application to support encodings other than what are supported by Xerces. To achieve this, I have downloaded ICU package and have rebuilt Xerces with it. My question is what code changes do I need to make for supporting other encodings like Shift_JIS..

For example, I serialized a DOM (using the DOMWriter class) with output encoding as UTF-8. This worked fine. But if I specify Shift_JIS , it gave me an error that a transcoder could not be created(see DOMPrint example provided with Xerces) , which is undertandable.

But after integrating Xerces with ICU, if I want to serialize the DOM with output encoding as Shift_JIS, what code changes do I need to make. It would be great if someone can give me a detailed procedure about how to go about it.

Is it enough to rebuild Xerces with ICU so that all other encodings are supported ?

Detailed help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

AS