Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> on 2014/12/07 08:29:44 UTC

[RP] When to release?

Hi,

I'm using a new 'tag': [RP] for Release Process related thread, to
make filtering easier.

I want to ask for ideas about the criteria for starting a release.
Everyone can be a Release Manager (RM) and start a release. A release
takes a significant amount of time from the community, and this
community has a lot of projects that 'need' releases. With limited
resources, it seems to make sense to sort of triage which subproject
will be put up for release.

So, in addition to finding someone who is willing to be RM, it seems
prudent to ask the community the following question:

Is there enough support for releasing this subproject at this point in time?

My suggestion would be to put this to a vote. And in the vote, we
should indicate that anyone voting in favor promises to make at least
an effort to help out during the testing and RC phases.

What this aims to accomplish is to gauge the available resources in
the community and helps to avoid the situation where the RM puts a lot
of effort in preparing an RC, only to find out that there is hardly
anyone interested enough to help out with testing and voting.

Thoughts?

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

RE: [RP] When to release?

Posted by Chris Martin <ch...@outlook.com>.
Yep, same here. I will make best efforts to be available for new releases :)

Chris

Re: [RP] When to release?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

RE: [RP] When to release?

Re: [RP] When to release?

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 07/12/14 07:29, Erik de Bruin wrote:
> Is there enough support for releasing this subproject at this point in time?
I think this is always a good thing to ask :-)

I'm not aware of anything like a roadmap that says we'll release version
X of Y on date Z, so we don't have that to kinda push us along. I don't
see any need to have them either.

So our releases are either bug fixes (one bug that's "big enough", or
"it's been so long, there are many fixes, we should") or features ("we
finished months of work to get Z done").

Tom