Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Brian Whitman <br...@variogr.am> on 2008/01/14 22:02:35 UTC

index out of disk space, CorruptIndexException

We had an index run out of disk space. Queries work fine but commits
return

<h1>500 doc counts differ for segment _18lu: fieldsReader shows 104
but segmentInfo shows 212

org.apache.lucene.index.CorruptIndexException: doc counts differ for
segment _18lu: fieldsReader shows 104 but segmentInfo shows 212
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.initialize(SegmentReader.java:191)

I've made room, restarted resin, and now solr won't start. No useful
messages in the startup, just a

[21:01:49.105] Could not start SOLR. Check solr/home property
[21:01:49.105] java.lang.NullPointerException
[21:01:49.105]  at
org
.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.init(SolrDispatchFilter.java:
100)

What can I do from here?

Re: index out of disk space, CorruptIndexException

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
:
: [21:01:49.105] Could not start SOLR. Check solr/home property
: [21:01:49.105] java.lang.NullPointerException
: [21:01:49.105]  at org
: .apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.init(SolrDispatchFilter.java:100)

that message usually comes after some earlier (possibly much earlier)
error about the real cause of the problem (usually with a meaninigful
stack trace).  I'm guessing that the meaningful error in this case hwoever
is something along the lines of "index corrupted" but it might have ust
been a stray lock file.

-Hoss

Re: index out of disk space, CorruptIndexException

Posted by Brian Whitman <br...@variogr.am>.
On Jan 14, 2008, at 4:08 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:
> uggggg -- maybe someone else has better ideas, but you can try:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/CheckIndex.java

thanks for the tip, i did run that, but I stopped it 30 minutes in, as
it was still on the first (out of 46) segment.. The index is (was)
129GB.
I just restored to an older index and made this ticket, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-455

Re: index out of disk space, CorruptIndexException

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
uggggg -- maybe someone else has better ideas, but you can try:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/CheckIndex.java

I think that converts (what it can) to a 2.3 index.

The NullPointerException should be gone in trunk, that is just an
artifact of stuff going wrong during initialization.

ryan