Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org> on 2021/10/18 17:45:16 UTC

Odd-even cycle for daffodil bug-fix and functional releases

It has been suggested that due to the large JIRA issue count (380+) on
Daffodil, that we start a regular odd-even release convention where even
point releases such as 3.2.0 are focused on new major features/function,
and odd point releases like the next one, 3.3.0, are focused on bug fixes,
performance improvements, and other non-functional changes (e.g.,
refactoring and clean-ups).

These are only guidelines/themes. Obviously a given release can contain a
new feature if it becomes a high-priority during the cycle, but the point
would be to give organizations that are embedding Daffodil into their
systems a bit more information for planning.

One thought I had is that this kind of cadence makes sense only for
Daffodil and it's Scala runtime1 back-end.

The C-generating runtime2 backend is still in a cycle of major feature
development, so I wouldn't want to hinder feature development there based
on a bug-fix cadence associated with other parts of Daffodil.

Also this obviously doesn't apply to the new vscode debugger.

Thoughts?

RE: Odd-even cycle for daffodil bug-fix and functional releases