Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com> on 2008/04/25 18:18:56 UTC

Hello everyone + mvn eclipse:eclipse

Hi all,

first of all hello everyone, I am new to this list. I am currently
working on integrating Shindig into Apache Sling [1], making it to use
JCR [2] as storage backend and osgi-bundlizing [3] it.

While building shindig for the first time and following the
instructions on the website, I noticed that you mention the rather
complicated way of using the Eclipse Maven2 plugin to import maven
projects into Eclipse. That's a valid way, but IMHO using "mvn
eclipse:eclipse" on the command line to create an Eclipse project (and
then importing it in Eclipse) is much simpler. AFAIK it's also more
widely used.

This would make the "Setting up an Eclipse project to build Shindig"
section on [4] shorter and simpler, which is good for newbies ;-)

Regards,
Alex

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/sling
[2] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/
[3] http://felix.apache.org/

[4] http://incubator.apache.org/shindig/#tab-building

--
Alexander Klimetschek
alexander.klimetschek@day.com

Re: Hello everyone + mvn eclipse:eclipse

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu>.
another extra tip:

mvn -DdownloadSources=true eclipse:eclipse

it will take much much longer, but it will ask maven to try to download
all available sources for dependencies.. which it then tells eclipse
about.. allowing you to lookup the declarations of those dependencies
and get actual code.. :)

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
Maybe you could make a maven module out of the javascript/ folder, ie.
package it as jar (and put the files under src/main/resources so that
they get into the jar's root folder).

Then these can be used in the war-creating projects (server and social-
api). For the non-Java projects, you could use a simple ant script to
extract the jar in the right place.

That way the Java projects work completely mavenized and the others
also work.

Just my 2 cents...
Alex

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
We could move the ../../ resources into the various servers, but,
there are other languages other than Java, like the PHP Gadgets
server that would prefer them to be where they are. (Am I
representing that correctly PHP guys ?)

One solution might be to shift the javascript folder down one to make
space for a pom.xml to pack the resources into a jar that could then
be depended on rather than included via ../../

It would at lest keep the resources in a place that would make them
sharable without too much effort.

Just a thought ?
Ian