Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Adrian Cho <Ad...@ca.ibm.com> on 2004/06/21 20:44:50 UTC

Tomcat licensing questions

Is there anyone on the list that can answer some questions I have about
the redistribution of certain files in Tomcat 4.1.30?

Specifically:

servlet.jar appears to be a Sun-originated module but is apparently
redistributed as part of Tomcat 4.1.30 under the Apache Software License
1.1.

Is this correct?  I have in the past seen other Sun-originated modules in
Apache distributions and I'm wondering what the licensing terms of the
contribution and subsequent redistribution are.

Thanks

Adrian

Adrian Cho
Manager, Intellectual Property
IBM Ottawa Lab
2670 Queensview Drive
Ottawa, Canada K2B 8K1
Phone: (613) 726-5536
Fax: (613) 820 1202
Website:  http://www.can.ibm.com/ottawalab/
E-mail: adrian_cho@ca.ibm.com

Re: Tomcat licensing questions

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Adrian Cho" <Ad...@ca.ibm.com> wrote in message
> Is there anyone on the list that can answer some questions I have about
> the redistribution of certain files in Tomcat 4.1.30?
>
> Specifically:
>
> servlet.jar appears to be a Sun-originated module but is apparently
> redistributed as part of Tomcat 4.1.30 under the Apache Software License
> 1.1.
>
> Is this correct?  I have in the past seen other Sun-originated modules in
> Apache distributions and I'm wondering what the licensing terms of the
> contribution and subsequent redistribution are.

The servlet.jar that ships with Tomcat 4.1.x is an Apache-originated module
that implements JSR053.  As such, the licensing terms are those of the
Apache Software License 1.1.