Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2023/05/31 07:45:34 UTC

[Lazy consensus] Upgrade Jakarta XML binding

Hello all

We are working on applying Java Modularization (a.k.a. Jigsaw) to Apache
SIS. This work has some implications in the dependencies that we use and
in the way that the project is structured. More emails will be sent in
the next days or weeks about proposed changes. For today's email, the
topic is the upgrade of the Jakarta dependency that we use for JAXB. The
current version is Jakarta 2. I propose to upgrade to Jakarta 4, which
is the latest version. The reason, in addition to being more up-to-date,
is because Jakarta 4 is modularized (i.e. contains "module-info" file)
while Jakarta 2 was not. The use of modularized dependencies simplifies
a lot the modularization of SIS itself. However this upgrade brings one
significant change: all "java.xml.bind" packages are renamed
"jakarta.xml.bind". This change will impact users who use JAXB API
directly, but should be transparent to users who use only the
"org.apache.sis.xml.XML" convenience methods.

I don't think that we need a vote for that, so I'm proposing lazy
consensus. If a hear no objection by the end of this weed, the upgrade
would be applied this weekend. The changes can be seen on [1] and the
JIRA issue is on [2].

     Martin

[1]https://github.com/Geomatys/sis/commit/fb955a11c6d7a04d793cff48a1cca1beafafd419
[2]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SIS-581