Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Doron Tsur <qb...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/20 02:21:54 UTC

GSoC benefits

HI all,

I am CS student in my final year and I would like to combine the Hadoop
project with GSoC over the summer.  I actually run in to Hadoop by mistake,
I was researching some concepts regarding my final year project and ran in
to you guys. I wonder if someone from the group is planning on mentoring
this upcoming summer, I'm highly interested in the project.

I've heard that in previous years, time and effort were placed in to GSoC
participants but it didn't make it to the build. Since I'm not an active
member of developing Hadoop I wonder if you have an Idea of a quantifiable
project I can take. I know some disappointments were raised in the past, I
would like to focus mainly on a quality delivery even if small.

I'm here mainly to listen to you at this moment, any aspects in the
projects you think would fit someone like me?

Good Day,
qballer

Re: GSoC benefits

Posted by Varun Thacker <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eli,

I'm a student too interested in taking up a hadoop task as a gsoc project.
There are JIRA tickets tagged explicitly as gsoc so I wanted to discuss a
few ideas before deciding to take up a particular task.

I had asked the list earlier and got no replies on it.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-dev/201203.mbox/raw/%3CCAEH2wZDisjFjbezbbSvpWSd%2BAeczxgVqQkZgkCUbwSb9zW-jSA%40mail.gmail.com%3E/1

Do you know any committers / PMC members who are planning on mentoring
students for the program so that I could discuss some ideas with them.

Sorry to bother you with this but I was unable to get a response on IRC
yesterday too.

Varun Thacker
http://varunthacker.wordpress.com

Re: GSoC benefits