Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by "Markus Nix (Mayflower)" <mn...@mayflower.de> on 2005/05/30 19:40:32 UTC

Contributing PHP port of JSR 170

Hello Devs,

As JSR 170 becomes more and more popular it is rather obvious
that there is a certain need to provide similar functionality
for other languages.

Since PHP is very strong in glueing things together, it is
possible that the PHP version of JSR 170 might become
a good starting point for tightening JSR 170 compatible
repositories closer to the mass of PHP based content
management systems.

With that in mind, we are happy to offer the PHP port
of JSR 170, implemented entirely in PHP 5 as a
contribution into the jackrabbit community.
This could be the starting point for contributions like client
connectivity to jcr repositories though webdav or even a full
fledged PHP implementation.

Björn and I already signed the CLA (which in the meantime
hopefully found its way to the Apache HQ).

Best Regards,

Markus Nix (mnix@mayflower.de)
Björn Schotte (schotte@mayflower.de)

Re: Contributing PHP port of JSR 170

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
David Nuescheler wrote:

>>one might just want to call it OSR-170 and write a specification
>>independent of a language.
>>

>fine with me ;)

well, let's talk at OSCOM Tag in Karlsruhe ;-)

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Contributing PHP port of JSR 170

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
> one might just want to call it OSR-170 and write a specification
> independent of a language.
fine with me ;)

regards,
david

Re: Contributing PHP port of JSR 170

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
David Nuescheler wrote:
>>I would agree in general, but IIRC Sun is not happy about JSR's being
>>copied to other platforms. In particular, I heard that a JDO vendor who
>>ported their project to .Net was threatened with a lawsuit and had to
>>withdraw. I would recommend that you check the legalities of it before
>>doing too much work.
>

> interesting aspect. i think we should certainly look into that.
>
> i think since sun as the spec-lead of jdo is the owner of the intellectual
> property of the jdo spec they are in a position to do that.
>
> i can assure you that we as the spec-lead of jsr-170 have no
> intention to sue anybody who ports jsr-170 to a different language,
> as a matter of fact we are encouraging it ;)
>
> additionally, since we license the jsr-170 under the apache license some
> of the licensing terms should already be taken care of... right?
>
> of course i am not a lawyer so i may be completely wrong here...
> maybe some of the more licensing savvy people can help us here.
>
> regards,
> david
>
> .ps: if someone would like to contribute a .NET port of jsr-170...
> of course subject to the concerns that rickard raised.

I don't know the licensing terms used to on the IP of the JDO JSR, but
JSR 170 (both IP, TCK and code) is licensed under a license that is (or
is very very similar) to the Apache License 2.0. There is *NOTHING* in
the Apache License 2.0 that is technologically specific (if so, it would
not be an OSI-compliant license).

This means that nobody, either Day, Sun or anybody else, would be able
to persecute you if you wanted to take the IP contained in the JSR 170
spec and use it to implement something similar in another language.

The only thing would be the 'trademark' on JSR 170, which is actually
owned by the JCP (even if I doubt that even this could be enforced,
since you can't trademark numbers). So, the JCP might try to stop you
from calling it "JSR 170 in PHP", but it would be quite a stretch IMO,
if you just said "this is a content repository API for PHP, modelled
after the Java Content Repository API". That can be considered fair use
of the trademark.

In short, don't worry.

--
Stefano.

Re: Contributing PHP port of JSR 170

Posted by Alan Mehio <al...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Bjorn,

Thanks for your guidness and I will look at the PHP5; however, I don't think PHP has all the Java features and since the JSR 170 is based on jcp.org so it is intended to be in Java otherwise, it should be called PHP_SR 170 and placed in another place.
I am not againts any language and I have not mentioned any comparison except in the above sentence.
Any way, let is more forward and please ignore this letter

Regards,
Alan

Björn Schotte <sc...@mayflower.de> wrote:
Alan Mehio wrote:
> What benefits we again by porting JSR 170 into PHP which is not an OO language.

Please inform yourself about PHP (especially PHP5) before making such
statements. Also, please try to google about "PHP shared nothing" which
should explain the "shared nothing" concept of PHP which is different
from Java.

And I would like to appreciate to avoid any "my language is better
than yours" statements on this list which should focus about JSR-170
and its ports.

--
Mayflower GmbH / ThinkPHP schotte@mayflower.de
Martin Luther Straße 5b Tel: 0931 / 35965-0

---------------------------------

Re: Contributing PHP port of JSR 170

Posted by Björn Schotte <sc...@mayflower.de>.

Posted by Alan Mehio <al...@yahoo.co.uk>.
What benefits we again by porting JSR 170 into PHP which is not an OO language.

Cheers
Alan
London

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rickard Öberg <ri...@senselogic.se>.
Markus Nix (Mayflower) wrote:
> As JSR 170 becomes more and more popular it is rather obvious
> that there is a certain need to provide similar functionality
> for other languages.
<snip>

I would agree in general, but IIRC Sun is not happy about JSR's being
copied to other platforms. In particular, I heard that a JDO vendor who
ported their project to .Net was threatened with a lawsuit and had to
withdraw. I would recommend that you check the legalities of it before
doing too much work.

regards,
   Rickard

--
Rickard Öberg
rickard.oberg@senselogic.se

Re: Contributing PHP port of JSR 170

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
hi markus and bjoern,

thanks a lot for the contribution.

i agree that it is great to see publically available API ports
of JSR-170. i think this gives everybody guidance
on how to implement access to content repositories in
other languages.

particularly PHP seems important to me since PHP is
heavily entrenched in the cms space.

excellent work, and thanks to very much jukka for offering
to take care of the administrational items ;)

regards,
david

Re: Contributing PHP port of JSR 170

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@zitting.name>.
Hi,

Markus Nix wrote:
> With that in mind, we are happy to offer the PHP port
> of JSR 170, implemented entirely in PHP 5 as a
> contribution into the jackrabbit community.

Very nice! It would be great if we could extend the JSR 170 API into
other languages as well. I'd especially like to see at least some amount
of standardization for concepts like sessions, namespaces, the
hierarchical data structure, explicit node types, versioning, etc. Your
contribution seems like a good step forward.

(Some design concerns: Your port is a direct mapping of the Java API
into PHP, and thus cannot easily be backported to PHP 4. I'm also a bit
worried about how natural the Javaish API feels in PHP.)

The port is based on an earlier version of the JCR API. I already
started working on upgrading it to the latest version (0.16.4.1). I'll
send a patch in a while.

> Björn and I already signed the CLA (which in the meantime
> hopefully found its way to the Apache HQ).

Good! Unless there are any objections, I'd like to add your contribution
as a contrib/phpcr subproject in Jackrabbit. Do you plan to keep working
on the code?

The port is currently licensed under LGPL, which prevents it from being
included in Jackrabbit. Can you relicense the code to the Apache License
for me to commit it? The standard ALv2 copyright header used in
Jackrabbit can be found in HEADER.txt within the Jackrabbit root directory.

BR,

Jukka Zitting