Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Péter Sinóros-Szabó <pe...@transferwise.com.INVALID> on 2020/01/08 09:58:13 UTC

MirrorMaker 2 - Does it write anything to source cluster?

Hi,

so I am planning to use MM2 and was thinking if it has any impact on the
source cluster when mirroring.

Obviously it impacts the performance of the source cluster, so I plan to
use quotas to solve that, but other than that,

Does MM2 write anything back to the source cluster?

As I understand documentation, it won't, but a clarification on this would
be great.

Thanks for creating MM2! :)

best,
Peter

Re: MirrorMaker 2 - Does it write anything to source cluster?

Posted by Ryanne Dolan <ry...@gmail.com>.
Peter, MM2 writes offset syncs upstream to the source cluster, which are
then used to emit checkpoints to the target cluster. There is no particular
reason why offset syncs are stored on the source cluster instead of the
target, and it's been suggested that we swap that around.

Ryanne