Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ricky Clarkson <ri...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/11 15:30:24 UTC

Inline Checkstyle Configuration

Hi,

We have just added CheckStyle (and a few others) to our project root's
pom.xml, and managed to configure findbugs, cobertura etc., within the
pom.xml, but the plugin for CheckStyle doesn't appear to support such inline
configuration.  We read about configuring CheckStyle for multi-module
projects on Maven's site, and the suggested solution was to create a
separate build-tools project.  This is ok, but right now it would only be
for the one CheckStyle config XML file, which seems overkill.  Is there
another solution, or a good reason why the CheckStyle plugin doesn't support
adding the configuration within pom.xml?

Cheers,
Ricky.

Re: Inline Checkstyle Configuration

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
On 8/11/08, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say "inline configuration".
> The Checkstyle Plugin uses standard Checkstyle configuration files.

He wants to configure Checkstyle entirely in the Maven pom, rather
than using external files.

Then he can easily share one configuration with multiple child modules.

Wayne

Re: Inline Checkstyle Configuration

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Inline Checkstyle Configuration

Posted by Ricky Clarkson <ri...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Wayne,

I have downloaded and built the source for that plugin, but between asking
the question and receiving your answer we implemented a workaround (the one
suggested in the CheckStyle plugin documentation - creating a dedicated
project for housing such config files).

Ricky.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.