Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "edopicardi@libero.it" <ed...@libero.it> on 2003/01/21 12:59:58 UTC

could you help me please?

Hi all,sorry for bothering you ;-)
I'm just a student trying to develop some Servlet...
I'm trying to use COM ports from a servlet running in TOMCAT 3.2.4 ,but i get the error message :"Port COM1 does not exist."
What can i do to make com ports visible from a servlet?
Could you help me please?
My email address is edopicardi@libero.it

Thanx in advance :-) looking forward to your answer.
Best regards,
Edo

Re: could you help me please?

Posted by "Mr. Cristian Romanescu" <c....@finsiel.ro>.
The problem isn't that easy.
First of all I developed an application using parallel port (it's a
matter of choice :)):
I found a big issue accesing port from Java...finally my option was to
write an dynamic library (dll) in Ms Visual C (because is directly in
assembler)
where I wrote the basic I/O functions with parallel ports.
Then using JNI (Java Native Interface) I called the methods from java,
wherever I wanted to send something to the parallel port.

Unfortunately this works fine only in '95/'98...in NT/2000 blah...you'll
need privilege access (or you'll get privilege exception from kernel)
There is a way for this also...there is a program (i can't remember
now... search google) which gives privileges access to ports to yer java
virtual machine.
So I suppose you should start tomcat's JVM with this application
launcher and then load the dll from there...

I wrote my app in Swing, so I can't help you further (ie where to put
your dll or so...)

Hope this helps.

c.

Re: could you help me please?