Posted to users@felix.apache.org by "Humeniuk, David P" <Da...@udri.udayton.edu> on 2012/07/03 22:39:46 UTC

Using declarative services in a web application bundle

I'm trying to use declarative services in a web application bundle and I haven't found a lot of examples online on how to do this.

I'm using BND component annotations for my declarative service component along with the -wab flag to set the Bundle-Classpath properly.  This will place my component implementation under WEB-INF/classes as is required by a web application and adds WEB-INF/classes to my Bundle-Classpath.  In addition, BND will place a declarative services component XML file under OSGI-INF at the root or the bundle file and create a service component entry in the manifest containing that file.

When I load the bundle, I get the error that the component description XML cannot be found.  I'm guessing that is because the declarative service component runtime is trying to the find the XML as a resource using the bundle class loader.

Should I be adding something to my Bundle-Classpath to find this or should the service component runtime still be able to find the XML file?

This using the latest SCR, 1.6.0.

As an overview, this is what my bundle looks like:

·         META-INF

o   MANIFEST.MF, contains (plus other stuff):

§  Service-Component: OSGI-INF/org.example.thosecomponents.ControlServiceImpl.xml

§  Bundle-ClassPath: WEB-INF/classes,WEB-INF/lib/primefaces-3.3.1.jar,WEB-INF/lib/start-1.0.6.jar

·         OSGI-INF

o   org.example.thosecomponents.ControlServiceImpl.xml

·         WEB-INF

o   classes

§  org

·         example

o   ...

o   lib

§  primefaces-3.3.1.jar

§  start-1.0.6.jar

·         ...

Re: Using declarative services in a web application bundle

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi

A release is actually overdue. But we have some fixes to still apply. I will soon go over the stuff and see.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Humeniuk, David P" <Da...@udri.udayton.edu>.
I get an error message that "OSGI-INF/org.example.thosecomponents.ControlServiceImpl.xml" cannot be found when the bundle is loaded and started.

This is supposed to be a DS component that is part of the web application bundle, not a ManagedBean or something managed by the web container.

Thanks,
Dave

Do you get an actual error message, or do you just not get the DS behaviour that you are expecting?

Note that Web Application classes in WABs cannot also be DS components (nor can they be Blueprint beans, etc). This is because their lifecycle must be entirely managed by the Web Container.... see section 128.6.2 of the R4 Enterprise specification.

Neil

Posted by Neil Bartlett <nj...@gmail.com>.