Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Simon Flood <S....@ucs.cam.ac.uk> on 2001/02/23 18:26:41 UTC

mod_userdir/7303: /~user/ doesn't work

>Number:         7303
>Category:       mod_userdir
>Synopsis:       /~user/ doesn't work
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
Novell NetWare 5.1 with Support Pack 2a applied.

Apache installed from pre-compiled binary available from www.apache.org
Have installed Apache on to server from pre-compiled binary.

All I have changed in HTTPD.CONF are the following:

* ThreadsPerChild 5 (from 50)
* Uncommented lines to use status.nlm and info.nlm modules
* ExtendedStatus On
* Port 81 (server is also running NetWare Enterprise Server on port 80)
* ServerAdmin <my_e-mail_address>
* ServerName <DNS_name>

Everything else is as supplied.

My server is the single server in O=Testing in it's own tree.  Apart from objects created during installation of NetWare 5.1 I have only created three additional users called (imaginatively!) user1, user2, and user3.

I have created a USER (traditional rather than NSS, using DOS and LONG name space) on which I have created three directories - user1, user2, and user3.

Using NetWare Administrator I have assigned each user a home directory (so this is stored in NDS) and granted each user RWCEMF rights to their directory.

Within user's home directory I have created a sub-directory public_html and created both an index.html and index.htm file with minimal content.

When I try and access http://<DNS_name>/~user1 or variations (/~user1/, /~user1.testing/, etc.) it produces a 404 error.

I have tried giving server object RF rights to user's home directory and setting O=Testing as the bindery context.
>How-To-Repeat:
Set up NetWare 5.1 using default settings and install Apache.  After installation change settings as detailed above.
>Fix:
No I'm afraid that I'm not much of a C++ programmer but I have looked at the source for mod_userdir.c and compared it with a version of the file found at http://poli.cs.vsb.cz/novell/apache (posted in response to an earlier reported bug in mod_userdir) and I can see that there are differences.

I've tried downloading and using the provided ApacheC.nlm but it doesn't work with the latest Apache.nlm provided with version 1.3.17.

Does Apache pick up the user's home directory from NDS (rather than rely on a particular path)?

Many thanks,

Simon
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]