Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com.INVALID> on 2022/10/10 15:44:42 UTC

Strange timeout: is it Tomcat, or is it some intermediate stage?

Lately, we've been getting this response to a web service call. The web
service is our own, running under Tomcat on an Amazon "beanstalk"; the
client is also our own, running on a customer's IBM Midrange box.

   <center><h1>504 Gateway Time-out</h1></center>

It's a long-running web service call, taking a little over a minute, and
we didn't see any response at all until I extended the client-side timeout.

Is this coming from Tomcat? Or is it coming from some intermediate
stage, maybe the load-balancer on the beanstalk, or something in the
customer's netork?

Any insights would be appreciated.

--
JHHL

RE: Strange timeout: is it Tomcat, or is it some intermediate stage?

Posted by Hiran CHAUDHURI <hi...@amadeus.com.INVALID>.
CONFIDENTIAL & RESTRICTED

To me the "nginx/1.20.0" is a hint that between your client and Tomcat there is some NginX running, and likely that one's timeout is expiring.
It is no indication though what was going on with Tomcat, and why it may have taken that long.

Hiran

CAUTION: External mail. Be careful with links and attachments.

Lately, we've been getting this response to a web service call. The web service is our own, running under Tomcat on an Amazon "beanstalk"; the client is also our own, running on a customer's IBM Midrange box.

   <center><h1>504 Gateway Time-out</h1></center>

It's a long-running web service call, taking a little over a minute, and we didn't see any response at all until I extended the client-side timeout.

Is this coming from Tomcat? Or is it coming from some intermediate stage, maybe the load-balancer on the beanstalk, or something in the customer's netork?

Any insights would be appreciated.

--
JHHL

IMPORTANT - CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity shown above as addressees . It may contain information which is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable laws . If the reader of this transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, printing, distribution, copying, disclosure or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify us by reply e-mail or using the address below and delete the message and any attachments from your system. Amadeus Data Processing GmbH Geschaftsfuhrer: Sven Fuhrmeister Sitz der Gesellschaft: Erding HR Munchen 212770 Berghamer Strasse 6 85435 Erding Germany.