Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jean Carlo <je...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/06 08:26:54 UTC

Upgrade cassandra 2.1.14 to 3.0.7

Hello guys

We are planing to upgrade cassandra soon to the version 3.0.7 from 2.1.14.
Our concern is the repair, in 3.0.7 repairs inc are by default. Then it
means that once we do the upgrade to 3.0.7 we must follow the migration
process of repairs inc for all our data in order to mark the sstables as
repaired ? or we can just run directly the repair command without need to
mark the sstables previously?

My first test with ccm tells me that we don't need to mark the sstables
because the repair in the 3.0.7 do it for you, but I want to ask if someone
has done this migration and confirm my assumption

Best regards.

Jean Carlo

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" Alan Kay

Re: Upgrade cassandra 2.1.14 to 3.0.7

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.
> If you do not feel ready for incremental repairs, just adding the '-full'
option to your 'nodetool repair' command should be enough to continue
repairing as you currently are once using 3.0.7.

This is not entirely true on 2.2+ after CASSANDRA-7586, since
anti-compaction is always executed after full repairs, so it will be more
expensive on 2.2+ than on 2.1. So after 2.2+ it's much cheaper to run
incremental repairs since repaired/unrepaired data is already being
seggregated anyway by anti-compaction after the first full repair.

Please note that this does not apply to subrange repair, which skips
anti-compaction entirely (CASSANDRA-10422), so it has the same cost as
previously.

Posted by Alain RODRIGUEZ <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jean,

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.