Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Richard Beeston <ar...@bigpond.com> on 2016/07/31 21:36:33 UTC

Double line spacing

Hi

Is there anyone who can help me

I need to write a thesis and the requirement is to have double line spacing on each page of a document of approximately 150 pages. Ratber than hit the enter button twice each time especially as I could be writing long sentences and not wanting to interrupt my thought process can I set any part of OO to automatically do double line spacing.

Appreciate any assistance I can get

Richard

Re: Double line spacing

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 07:36:33 +1000
"Richard Beeston" <ar...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there anyone who can help me
>
> I need to write a thesis and the requirement is to have double line spacing on each page of a document of approximately 150 pages. Ratber than hit the enter button twice each time especially as I could be writing long sentences and not wanting to interrupt my thought process can I set any part of OO to automatically do double line spacing.
>
> Appreciate any assistance I can get
>
> Richard

Before you start to write your thesis, read up on how to use Styles.  This short text aimed at University students will be helpful:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Writer_for_Students

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Double line spacing

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 07:36 01/08/2016 +1000, Richard Beeston wrote:
>I need to write a thesis and the requirement is to have double line
>spacing on each page of a document of approximately 150 pages.
>Rather than hit the enter button twice each time especially as I
>could be writing long sentences and not wanting to interrupt my
>thought process can I set any part of OO to automatically do double
>line spacing.

First, let's debunk the idea that you could ever do the job in the
way that you suggest. In a word-processor document, you press Enter
not at the end of each line but at the end of a paragraph. So you
would be dividing your work into one-line paragraphs, each separated
by an empty paragraph. This would have many implications for how the
document text behaved, not the least of which would be that you could
no longer justify your text - if that is what you wanted. More
important, any small modification you make to your text may well
require you to move the position of the end of each false paragraph -
all the way down to the end of the real paragraph. (Even if you
believe that you won't need to modify your text, your examiners will
have other ideas!)

True line breaks can be inserted using Shift+Enter instead. A
technique using these would allow justification of text but would
retain the other disadvantages.

Second, you should let your institution know that the world no longer
uses typewriters. It is only in typescript that the concept of double
spacing really exists, since it supposes that the printed output is
restricted to discrete vertical positions. There is no such
restriction on commercial printing or even on printed output produced
by word processors - though it is possible to choose that lines are
separated by exactly twice the default spacing, of course.

o Either:
  + Select your text.
  + Go to Format | Paragraph... | Indents & Spacing | Line spacing
(or right-click | Paragraph... | Indents & Spacing | Line spacing).
o Or:
  + Right-click in the paragraph and go to Edit Paragraph Style... |
Indents & Spacing | Line spacing).
o Select Double from the drop-down menu.

The first option will set the line spacing for the current paragraph
and for any new paragraphs that you create following it. The second
option is better, in that it will do the same for the *style* of the
current paragraph, so the effect will be carried into all paragraphs
having the same style. If you have not applied any style, your
paragraphs will nevertheless have a style - probably "Default". In
that case, you will have to perform the task only once for the entire
document. You can choose and apply other styles later for any
paragraphs that require different line spacing.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Double line spacing

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 22:38 31/07/2016 -0400, Doug McGarrett wrote:
>On 07/31/2016 06:23 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
>>At 07:36 01/08/2016 +1000, Richard Beeston wrote:
>>>I need to write a thesis and the requirement is to have double
>>>line spacing ...
>>
>>Second, you should let your institution know that the world no
>>longer uses typewriters. It is only in typescript that the concept
>>of double spacing really exists, since it supposes that the printed
>>output is restricted to discrete vertical positions. There is no
>>such restriction on commercial printing or even on printed output
>>produced by word processors - though it is possible to choose that
>>lines are separated by exactly twice the default spacing, of course.
>
>There is a very good reason for double-spaced text in any document
>submitted for publication or for scholarly discussion or grading. In
>the case of publication, it allows the editor to make corrections;
>in the second instance, it allows the reader and or the professor to
>make useful comments on particular portions of the text. In the
>first instance, I speak from some small experience as the long-term
>editor of a newsletter which runs from 12 to 20 pages per issue, of
>which there are 10 per year. Altho I edit on the computer, it is
>easier to deal with a double-spaced text as to finding and
>"repairing" a given section of the manuscript.

Sorry, but you miss my point; sorry if I wasn't clear. Of course you
are right that it can be convenient to have *extra* space between the
lines of text in a printed document - and the original questioner
will want to provide this, as is required by his institution. But the
idea of *double* spacing in particular is surely a hangover from
typewriter technology, where vertical line positioning was limited to
complete line heights (or sometimes half that). Both commercial
printers and word processors are capable of much finer gradations of spacing.

Commercially printed material sometimes has additional spacing
between lines, called leading (pronounced "ledding" as in Pb and
itself a term that is a hangover from hot-metal technology), but this
does not need to be in whole line heights. A printer may add
two-point leading to, say, ten-point text, and will describe this as
printed "ten on twelve point". Again, word processors allow similar
fine choices about vertical spacing. There are other choices than
Double in Writer's "Line spacing" setting and the effect is very flexible.

I feel that word processor users sometimes think in terms of
typewriter technology, and I took the opportunity to suggest that
wider choices were available here (but then provided the answer
requested, I hope).

>(BTW: /Manuscript/ implies that it was written /by hand/ as opposed
>to being typed!)

Indeed, from the Latin fourth declension "manus" - hand. But I'm not
sure of your point here. You seem to be suggesting that someone
misused the word "manuscript", but the conversation was not about
manuscripts and you were the only person to introduce the term.

Brian Barker

Re: Double line spacing

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 13:14 06/08/2016 -0700, Jim McLaughlin wrote:
>virii

Sorry, but that's sillier than silly. If "virus" were a second
declension noun with a Latin plural (which it isn't), its plural
would be "viri", not *"virii". Latin "viri" is actually the plural of
"vir" and means "men". (I suppose some people do believe that all men
are slime.)

*"Virii" would be the plural of the (non-existent) *"virius".

Brian Barker

Re: [OT] "lightly spread pedantry" (was: Double line spacing)

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 16:29 06/08/2016 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>...how do you pluralize 'agenda'?

"Agenda" is already a plural in Latin, meaning "doings". As it needs
a plural in English, that again has to be a regular English plural: "agendas".

(Er, should we get back to software?!)

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 17:10 06/08/2016 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>aw, and I was going to ask about 'data'!

Philip Howard, who used to write on words for The [London] Times, had
a short chapter in one of his books entitled "Data is not what they
used to be"!

Posted by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu>.
On Sat, 6 Aug 2016, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 16:29 06/08/2016 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>> ...how do you pluralize 'agenda'?
>
> "Agenda" is already a plural in Latin, meaning "doings". As it needs a plural
> in English, that again has to be a regular English plural: "agendas".
>
> (Er, should we get back to software?!)

aw, and I was going to ask about 'data'!

was (silly) fun!

back to business.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

If you're right 90% of the time, why quibble about the remaining 3%?

[OT] "lightly spread pedantry" (was: Double line spacing)

Posted by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu>.
On Sat, 6 Aug 2016, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 13:14 06/08/2016 -0700, Jim McLaughlin wrote:
>> virii
>
> Sorry, but that's sillier than silly. If "virus" were a second declension
> noun with a Latin plural (which it isn't), its plural would be "viri", not
> *"virii". Latin "viri" is actually the plural of "vir" and means "men". (I
> suppose some people do believe that all men are slime.)

that's a great line (men and slime)!

ok, so how about this one - how do you pluralize 'agenda'?

> *"Virii" would be the plural of the (non-existent) *"virius".

btw I just take it that 'virii' is now slang so acceptable on that
score, kind of like 'deletia' which is also impossible in Latin.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

Encyclopedia for sale by father.  Son knows everything.

Re: [was:] Double line spacing

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 13:43 06/08/2016 -0700, Jim McLaughlin wrote:
>I suggest that we agree to disagree ...

You can disagree without my needing to agree that you can. If
agreeing to disagree means that I accept that "virii" is as arguable
as "viruses", then I don't.

>... each knowing that we are each separately correct as to preferred
>usages in our respective geographic areas.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language says
"viruses". Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary says
"viruses". Other dictionaries give no irregular plural, implying the
same. Sorry, but your defence of "virii" as an Americanism is simply
untrue: USian dictionaries imply it's a misuse even there.

>Languages, even Latin, are living things and continually evolve.

I thought every schoolboy knew that Latin was dead? (In any case, we
were talking about a plural in English.)

>I promise to not make fun of your side's silly pronunciations of
>"clerk" and spelling and pronunciation of "aluminum" ...

So you spell and pronounce helum, lithum, sodum, magnesum, potassum,
calcum, titanum, etc. similarly?

>... if you will refrain from calling me silly for my usage preferences.

Oh, I never did. On the contrary, I called the non-word "virii" a
silly formation; I made no such suggestion about you. That's important.

Brian Barker

Re: [was:] Double line spacing

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 17:53 06/08/2016 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>just a quick (last) word: I take dictionaries to describe usage, not
>prescribe it ...

True.

>... thus they lag actual usage.

Hmm...

Brian Barker

Re: [was:] Double line spacing

Posted by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu>.
On Sat, 6 Aug 2016, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 13:43 06/08/2016 -0700, Jim McLaughlin wrote:
>> I suggest that we agree to disagree ...
>
> You can disagree without my needing to agree that you can. If agreeing to
> disagree means that I accept that "virii" is as arguable as "viruses", then I
> don't.
>
>> ... each knowing that we are each separately correct as to preferred usages
>> in our respective geographic areas.
>
> The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language says "viruses".
> Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary says "viruses". Other
> dictionaries give no irregular plural, implying the same. Sorry, but your
> defence of "virii" as an Americanism is simply untrue: USian dictionaries
> imply it's a misuse even there.

just a quick (last) word: I take dictionaries to describe usage, not
prescribe it thus they lag actual usage.

not sure what authority dictionary writers would have to dictate
usage anyway.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

"All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more
specific."
                 -- Jane Wagner

Re: Double line spacing

Posted by Jim McLaughlin <jj...@gmail.com>.
A writer whom I rather like was credited with commenting that my country
and his were unfortunately separated by a  common language. I have always
thought that to be
a quite accurate observation.

I suggest that we agree to disagree and each withdraw from the field, each
knowing that we are each separately correct as to preferred usages in our
respective geographic areas.
Languages , even Latin, are living things and continually evolve.  Perhaps
only Carthaginian appears to not do so. Scipio Aemilianus (Scipio
Africanus) seems to have taken care of that.

In any event, I think that half breed, Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill
had an apt point.

I promise to not make fun of your side's silly pronunciations of "clerk"
and spelling and pronunciation of "aluminum" if you will refrain from
calling me silly for my usage preferences.

Re: Double line spacing

Posted by Jim McLaughlin <jj...@gmail.com>.
virii

Re: "lightly spread pedantry" [was: Double line spacing]

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 15:40 06/08/2016 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>so how do you guys pluralize 'virus'?

This guy says that the Latin "virus" means something like "slime" and
is a mass noun, having no plural: if you add slime to the slime you
already have, you get more slime, not *"two slimes".

In English, "virus" is a count noun, needing a plural. Since the word
doesn't have a Latin plural, the only possibility is a regular
English plural, "viruses".

The idea that all Latin nouns ending -us form plurals ending -i is specious.

Brian Barker

Re: [was:] Double line spacing

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 17:19 06/08/2016 -0400, Julian Thomas wrote:
>1 virus 2 viri 3 virii 4 viriv. .. 9 virix

Ho, ho! A good one!

Brian Barker

Re: [was:] Double line spacing

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
> On Aug 6, 2016, at 17:29, Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> 1 virus 2 viri 3 virii 4 viriv. .. 9 virix
>
> Ho, ho! A good one!

original credit goes to Rob Slade   [9 was my own addition]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Slade

 —
jt - jt@jt-mj.net

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -Request for Comments: 1925 IOOF

Re: Double line spacing

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
1 virus 2 viri 3 virii 4 viriv. .. 9 virix

From my i6.

Julian Thomas http:jt-mj.net
In the beautiful Genesee Valley of Western NY State!

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
On 08/06/2016 04:04 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
> The idea that all Latin nouns ending -us form plurals ending -i is
> specious.

You mean martini isn't the plural of martinus?  ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR_5h8CzRcI
Around 4:45

Wayne & Shuster were a famous Canadian comedy duo.

Re: Double line spacing

Posted by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu>.

Re: Double line spacing

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.
On 07/31/2016 11:58 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 22:38 31/07/2016 -0400, Doug McGarrett wrote:
>>>
>>> Second, you should let your institution know that the world no
>>> longer uses typewriters. It is only in typescript that the concept
>>> of double spacing really exists, since it supposes that the printed
>>> output is restricted to discrete vertical positions. There is no
>>> such restriction on commercial printing or even on printed output
>>> produced by word processors - though it is possible to choose that
>>> lines are separated by exactly twice the default spacing, of course.
>>
>> There is a very good reason for double-spaced text in any document
>> submitted for publication or for scholarly discussion or grading. In
>> the case of publication, it allows the editor to make corrections; in
>> the second instance, it allows the reader and or the professor to
>> make useful comments on particular portions of the text. In the first
>> instance, I speak from some small experience as the long-term editor
>> of a newsletter which runs from 12 to 20 pages per issue, of which
>> there are 10 per year. Altho I edit on the computer, it is easier to
>> deal with a double-spaced text as to finding and "repairing" a given
>> section of the manuscript.
>
> Sorry, but you miss my point; sorry if I wasn't clear. Of course you
> are right that it can be convenient to have *extra* space between the
> lines of text in a printed document - and the original questioner will
> want to provide this, as is required by his institution. But the idea
> of *double* spacing in particular is surely a hangover from typewriter
> technology, where vertical line positioning was limited to complete
> line heights (or sometimes half that). Both commercial printers and
> word processors are capable of much finer gradations of spacing.
>
> Commercially printed material sometimes has additional spacing between
> lines, called leading (pronounced "ledding" as in Pb and itself a term
> that is a hangover from hot-metal technology), but this does not need
> to be in whole line heights. A printer may add two-point leading to,
> say, ten-point text, and will describe this as printed "ten on twelve
> point". Again, word processors allow similar fine choices about
> vertical spacing. There are other choices than Double in Writer's
> "Line spacing" setting and the effect is very flexible.
>
> I feel that word processor users sometimes think in terms of
> typewriter technology, and I took the opportunity to suggest that
> wider choices were available here (but then provided the answer
> requested, I hope).
>
>> (BTW: /Manuscript/ implies that it was written /by hand/ as opposed
>> to being typed!)
>
> Indeed, from the Latin fourth declension "manus" - hand. But I'm not
> sure of your point here. You seem to be suggesting that someone
> misused the word "manuscript", but the conversation was not about
> manuscripts and you were the only person to introduce the term.
>
> Brian Barker

I won't disagree with you. Yes, you can set up any line spacing you want
in a word processor, but what is commonly
called double spacing, which amounts to skipping a line interval
throughout a document, is a convenient means to
leave space for editing or correcting (by hand, sometimes).
I agree that I brought up the word "manuscript" since something like a
term-paper or a dissertation might frequently
be called by that term, and I thought that the derivation from the Latin
would be of interest. To those interested in
language, it might be noted that "manus" even tho it has a masculine
ending, is feminine, not only in Latin, but in
Italian, (la mano) French, and even in the non-Romance language, German
(die Hand).

--doug

Re: Double line spacing

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.
On 07/31/2016 06:23 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 07:36 01/08/2016 +1000, Richard Beeston wrote:
>> I need to write a thesis and the requirement is to have double line
>> spacing on each page of a document of approximately 150 pages. Rather
>> than hit the enter button twice each time especially as I could be
>> writing long sentences and not wanting to interrupt my thought
>> process can I set any part of OO to automatically do double line
>> spacing.

/snip/

Re: Double line spacing

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 23:46 31/07/2016 +0000, Tina Noname wrote:
>Simply look for line spacing and choose that which you want at the time.

Sorry to be blunt, but the original questioner was asking how to do
this! Now you are just telling him he should just do it - but not
how. And he wants it generally, not "at the time".

>You should find it under tools.

Er, he won't, you know! You are now also telling him to look in the
wrong place.

Brian Barker

Re: Double line spacing

Posted by Tina <ms...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 Simply look for line spacing and choose that which you want at the time. You should find it under tools. Hope this helps somewhat.
Cheers,

Tina

"'God' brings us into each others lives for a reason and purpose that we may never know until the end. But every interaction that we have - even if just a simple smile, is a catalyst for something bigger, with a positive or negative outcome, so you must be aware of yourself so you can help another when it is needed." ~SchaOn

| I'm trying to do my bit to help the environment and thought you  |
| may be interested in taking part? To join the movement on  |
| WAYN.com and help make a difference. |