Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by Edgar Frank <ef...@email.de> on 2010/04/28 08:09:53 UTC

Howto install headerfiles into /include?

Hi list,

I've written a module which provides a header file for other
modules I've also written.

Now I'm in the process of setting up some kind of installer. I
want my first module (the one which provides the header file) to
have its header installed into the <httpd>/include directory. As
I don't just want to blindly copy the header into the apache
install dir, I looked for a standard way to do this.

As serveral other modules like mod_rewrite install their own
header file, I tried to integrate my module into the apache
build. I created my own directory under <source>/modules, copied
a config.m4 and adopted it for my purpose (nothing more than a
APACHE_MODPATH_INIT, APACHE_MODULE and APACHE_MODPATH_FINISH).
For the sake of simplicity, let's assume it's just a single .c
and .h file with minimalistic code (I also tried this simplest
case). Than I ran buildconf, my module appears in configure,
get's built and installed - but the header file won't be
installed into include. I tried to mimic every step mod_rewrite
does (except that it's bundled with the other mapper modules),
but couldn't find out which step does the trick.

Can anybody help me out with that? Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

The OS is Linux (CentOS 5.4 x64). I use Apache 2.2.15. I think I
should mention that I'm kind of a newbie with the autotools. If
any further info is needed, just let me know.

Btw - why are some of the .m4 files named config9.m4 or
config5.m4? Is this on purpose and if yes, why?

Kind regards,
Edgar

Re: Howto install headerfiles into /include?

Posted by Edgar Frank <ef...@email.de>.
>>>As serveral other modules like mod_rewrite install their own
>>>header file, I tried to integrate my module into the apache
>>>build. I created my own directory under /modules, copied
>>>a config.m4 and adopted it for my purpose (nothing more than a
>>>APACHE_MODPATH_INIT, APACHE_MODULE and APACHE_MODPATH_FINISH).
>>>For the sake of simplicity, let's assume it's just a single .c
>>>and .h file with minimalistic code (I also tried this simplest
>>>case). Than I ran buildconf, my module appears in configure,
>>>get's built and installed - but the header file won't be
>>>installed into include. I tried to mimic every step mod_rewrite
>>>does (except that it's bundled with the other mapper modules),
>>>but couldn't find out which step does the trick.
>
>I don't think there's any automatic facility provided for this.
>
>For example, the top-level apache Makefile knows specifically about
>mod_rewrite's header file.

I was afraid of that. As I'm not that deep into autotools, I suspected
that Makefile.in (I found mod_rewrite.h there) is generated
somewhere else, e.g. by buildconf.

>>>Btw - why are some of the .m4 files named config9.m4 or
>>>config5.m4? Is this on purpose and if yes, why?
>
>ordering I believe

This makes sense, indeed.

Thanks for your reply. Looks like I have to find another way :-)

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: Howto install headerfiles into /include?

Posted by Edgar Frank <ef...@email.de>.
Hi list,

is anybody able to help me out with my issue? I hope
it's okay to bump my issue after being patient 5 days. :)

I tried to learn by example, tried to experiment and
searched Google meanwhile for some hints but
couldn't find any advice.

Even a hint into the right direction would be perfect.

Regards,
Edgar

2010/04/28 Edgar Frank