Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Blaise St-Laurent <bl...@geeky.net> on 2004/02/10 21:13:31 UTC

Assigning score to custom rules (and rules in general?)

I was wondering how more experienced spamassassin admins have been
assigning scores to rules that are relevant to their site (and also per
user if need be). I've installed a few "aftermarket" rulesets now, and
some of the values are (IMO) either too low or two high based on how
many show up in the spams and hams i examine.

Is there a good methodology to figuring out appropriate scores? I was
thinking of writing a script that would look at the proportion of
ham/spam that this rule applies to, but that gives me a percentage, but
not a value.

How are you all doing it?

Blaise. <bl...@geeky.net>
--------------------------------
Random IRC quote:
<BombScare> i beat the internet
<BombScare> the end guy is hard

Re: Assigning score to custom rules (and rules in general?)

Posted by Brook Humphrey <ba...@webmedic.net>.
On Tuesday 10 February 2004 12:13, Blaise St-Laurent wrote:
> I was wondering how more experienced spamassassin admins have been
> assigning scores to rules that are relevant to their site (and also per
> user if need be). I've installed a few "aftermarket" rulesets now, and
> some of the values are (IMO) either too low or two high based on how
> many show up in the spams and hams i examine.
>
> Is there a good methodology to figuring out appropriate scores? I was
> thinking of writing a script that would look at the proportion of
> ham/spam that this rule applies to, but that gives me a percentage, but
> not a value.
>
> How are you all doing it?

Wow I wish I could answer you right on this but I'm not sure how. The way I do
my scoreing is very heavily weighted on bayes. With high thresholds. After I
have added quite a few mails to the bayes db I rarely get fp's.

--
 -~`'~-~`'~-~`'~-~`'~-~`'~-~`'~-~`'~-~`'~-~`'~-~`'~-~`'~-~`'~-~`'~-~`'~-~`'~-
                                      Brook Humphrey

Re: Assigning score to custom rules (and rules in general?)

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Blaise,

BSL> I was wondering how more experienced spamassassin admins have been
BSL> assigning scores to rules that are relevant to their site (and also per
BSL> user if need be). I've installed a few "aftermarket" rulesets now, and
BSL> some of the values are (IMO) either too low or two high based on how
BSL> many show up in the spams and hams i examine.

Head for the rules wiki at http://www.exit0.us and find the link to my
BobMenschel pages there. One of the first pages in that collection
documents my scoring methods as of a couple of months ago. (I'm working
on enhancements to that, but the documented methods are quite workable as
a startig point.)

Bob Menschel

Re: Assigning score to custom rules (and rules in general?)

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 03:13 PM 2/10/2004, Blaise St-Laurent wrote:
>Is there a good methodology to figuring out appropriate scores? I was
>thinking of writing a script that would look at the proportion of
>ham/spam that this rule applies to, but that gives me a percentage, but
>not a value.

Don't bother writing your own script for this.. mass-check already comes
with SA and you can feed it mailboxes full of spam and nonspam. From there,
use hit-frequencies to make a pretty report..

As for score assignment, I personally like the "start low and tune up until
it works but doesn't hurt" approach.