Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com> on 2019/10/05 14:05:29 UTC

Facebook notifications sent from dynamic address

(Nothing wrong with SA. Just an FYI about a popular service that abuses the
Internet and SA catches it.)

I noticed one of my notifications from Facebook today got tagged by SA.
Here's the two that put it over:

3.9 HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2 Relay HELO'd using suspicious hostname (IP addr 2)
1.5 RCVD_IN_SORBS_WEB RBL: SORBS: sender is an abusable web server
	[66.220.155.138 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]

Here's the offending header:

(66-220-155-138.mail-mail.facebook.com [66.220.155.138])

So who do I bitch at? I've never found any good way to complain to Facebook.

Re: Facebook notifications sent from dynamic address

Posted by "@lbutlr" <kr...@kreme.com>.
On Oct 7, 2019, at 11:35 AM, Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca> wrote:
> So tempting to let my inner BOFH out and just convert those to blacklist_from entries instead though…

So, so tempting!

--
"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first
thought of." - Burt Bacharach

Re: Facebook notifications sent from dynamic address

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.
Kenneth Porter wrote:
> (Nothing wrong with SA. Just an FYI about a popular service that abuses
> the Internet and SA catches it.)
>
> I noticed one of my notifications from Facebook today got tagged by SA.
> Here's the two that put it over:
>
> 3.9 HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2 Relay HELO'd using suspicious hostname (IP addr 2)
> 1.5 RCVD_IN_SORBS_WEB RBL: SORBS: sender is an abusable web server
>      [66.220.155.138 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]
>
> Here's the offending header:

> (66-220-155-138.mail-mail.facebook.com [66.220.155.138])
>
> So who do I bitch at? I've never found any good way to complain to
> Facebook.

I long ago sighed and globally whitelisted as many generic Facebook
sending channels as I could find because of lunacy like this.

whitelist_from_rcvd     *@facebookmail.com              .tfbnw.com
whitelist_from_rcvd     *@facebookmail.com              .facebook.com
whitelist_from_rcvd     *@facebookappmail.com           .tfbnw.com
whitelist_from_rcvd     *@facebookappmail.com           .facebook.com
whitelist_from_dkim     *@facebookmail.com
whitelist_from_dkim     *@mail.instagram.com

So tempting to let my inner BOFH out and just convert those to
blacklist_from entries instead though...

Of course, having whitelisted them we now have a couple of customers who
routinely report various Facebook email notices as spam.

-kgd

Re: Facebook notifications sent from dynamic address

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Sat, 05 Oct 2019 07:05:29 -0700
Kenneth Porter wrote:

> (Nothing wrong with SA. Just an FYI about a popular service that
> abuses the Internet and SA catches it.)

I'd say it is SA's fault, the helo is:

  66-220-155-138.mail-mail.facebook.com

which is clearly not a dynamic address because of the .mail-mail. label.
__HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2 has an exception for [-.]static[-.], but nothing
else.

By contrast the default for the Botnet plugin is/was:

botnet_serverwords  e?mail(out)? mta mx(pool)? relay smtp
botnet_serverwords  static