Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Adam Murdoch <ad...@yahoo.com> on 2001/12/16 12:55:52 UTC

Launcher question

Hi,

Another question:  How come Launcher isn't being used by the scripts to
start Ant up?  Is it just because noone has gotten around to switching them
over?  Or is there some other reason?

Adam

Re: Launcher question

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 00:02, Conor MacNeill wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 22:55, Adam Murdoch wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Another question:  How come Launcher isn't being used by the scripts to
> >>start Ant up?  Is it just because noone has gotten around to switching
> >> them over?  Or is there some other reason?
> >
> > Unfortunately it broke backwards compatability so we can't use it in
> > Ant1.x without breaking some users build files.
>
> Can you please give me more details?

Using it changes the ClassLoader hierarchy which means that any task that
creates their own ClassLoader will break. My tasks often contain

 classLoader = new URClassLoader( urls );

which would fail if they required any access to ant classes and we went to a
launcher style setup. They would need to be replaced with something like

 classLoader = new URClassLoader( urls, getClass().getClassLoader() );

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Launcher question

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 22:55, Adam Murdoch wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Another question:  How come Launcher isn't being used by the scripts to
>>start Ant up?  Is it just because noone has gotten around to switching them
>>over?  Or is there some other reason?
>>

> Unfortunately it broke backwards compatability so we can't use it in Ant1.x
> without breaking some users build files.

Can you please give me more details?

Conor

Re: Launcher question

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.