Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu> on 2007/01/02 21:54:34 UTC

[vote] maven-dependency-plugin 2.0-alpha-1

I'd like to call a vote to release maven-dependency-plugin 2.0-alpha-1.
Although nearly completely covered with unit tests, I'm still calling
this alpha for now since there are a few goals to be added in the next
version before it's considered API stable.

SVN Rev : Tag
491863:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/tags/maven-dependency-plu
gin-2.0-alpha-1

Jira Issues
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MDEP?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.sy
stem.project:roadmap-panel

Things of note:
- This will be the first release of this plugin from maven-plugins and
will supercede the codehaus version. Getting a release out there will
greatly reduce the confusion over the move from codehaus to apache.
- This also represents a near complete rewrite from the 1.0 version, but
the core functionality remains the same and is fully covered in unit
tests.
- the license headers and notice files have been updated and are
included in the jar
- the remaining jira issues are non critical or edge cases and will be
addressed in the next version
- when the release is done, the metadata needs to be updated in codehaus
and apache repos so that "mvn dependency:xxx" finds the new one because
in 2.0.4 it looks in codehaus first.

Re: [vote] maven-dependency-plugin 2.0-alpha-1

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
tested the latest snapshot with my production build

+1

Thanks for all the good works

-D

Posted by goldgriff <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
+1

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
-0
The Usage documentation could get cleaned up a bit prior to releasing
as each mojo cuts-n-pastes the rules for whether a file gets copied.

That is:
# Releases use the overWriteReleases value (default = false)
# Snapshots use the overWriteSnapshots value (default = false)
# If none of the above is set, then it defaults to the
overWriteIfNewer value (default = true)

With the exception of dependency:copy which also includes
"If the artifactItem / overWrite is set, use that value." and from
only a cursory investigation there appears to be no way to specify
overwriting on a per artifact basis.

The overwriting rules should be pulled up into its own section and
then referenced by each of the mojo usage docs.

I also have question to help clarify the above rules,
If overWriteReleases=false and overWriteIfNewer=true what should happen?
Reading the rules I am interpreting this to be that the released file
should not be overwritten.
i.e if the release artifact has already been copied dont copy it again
(even if the release artifact is newer that the copied version, how
this occurs I am not sure??)

I think the two parameters behave more like a "force" an overwrite
rather than deny an overwrite.  Should they be named
forceOverWriteReleases and froceOverWriteSnapshots instead?