Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2021/11/10 17:57:42 UTC

Re: Apache JIRA vs GitHub issues / discussions

On Mon, 27 Sept 2021 at 18:54, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
> There's also the possibility some
> of this will end up revised on a wiki page around GitHub best
> practices across ASF ...

So, reviving this thread. That wiki page from Jarek did come about
btw, and is public access -
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=191332632

Working on the 12.6 release is reminding how much I hate working with
JIRA as we have it set up right now.  Either we need to improve how
we're using it, or we need to migrate - and I'm very much in the
latter camp!  Something needs to improve, or I feel sorry for whoever
is leading on the next release process (not me!) :-)

The lack of useful synchronization between PRs and issues needs
addressing.  The lack of linking, including conversations, milestones,
statuses, users, issue existence(!), etc. is massive duplicate effort.

Eric did a great job putting this page together
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+12.6
But the fact that we have two different change records, that we don't
have JIRA tickets for half the changes, and that half of those are
tickets created to link the PR to, is again a load of duplication.

Either way we also need templates for users to fill out, and to remove
access to things like priorities, and more eyes on the incoming ...
and ...

OK, rant over! :-)  Frustration at play.  I like Airflow's approach
linked above, but maybe we can do other things.  But let's fix this
somehow before NB13!

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Apache JIRA Open Resolved Tickets

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
When attempting to close it, a dialog shows indicating

"Closing an issue indicates that there is no more work to be done on it,
and that it has been verified as complete."

So guess that's some of the "governance" type to consider.

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
For the "Others", they have components defined but there appear to be
soooooo many components, that it's only showing the "big hitters" with a
larger number for the given component category.  I wonder if maybe reducing
the number to a smaller one or have a "top level" component would help
(i.e.Java, Gradle, Javascript, etc.) with a manager for that top level
category and then also break it down further if needed (i.e. Javascript -
Editor, Javascript - Libraries, etc.).

Maybe model after the Netcat tribes like (See
https://netbeans.apache.org/participate/netcat.html).  Maybe that is a new
direction for Netcat groups to monitor specific "tribe" based areas to help
in triage as well.
PrefixTribe

[rcp]

API Support

[cnd]

C/C++

[db]

Databases

[debugger]

Debugger

[editor]

Editor

[groovy]

Groovy

[form]

GUI Builder

[j2ee]

Java EE

[fx]

Java FX

[maven]

Maven

[php]

PHP

[profiler]

Profiler

[unit]

Unit Testing

[versioning]

Version Control

[web]

Web Client

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 9:56 AM Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2021 at 15:44, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I do like the github issue tracker since it appears to be simpler while
> > still doing its job. To keep an issue tracker useful, it does need
> > maintenance though. E.g many projects automatically close issues if they
> > are inactive for a certain amount of time. Having 32k open issues on
> > jira like NB has, is no longer observable.
> >
> > Many "critical" issues i commented on asking if its still a problem were
> > in fact already fixed. This has to be automated, nobody should have to
> > do that manually. If the original poster cares about the issue and its
> > closed by mistake, believe me, it will be reopened.
> >

> > i am for github issues, but someone would actually have to write the
> > templates, and then also try to automate things, otherwise it will be
> > jira 2.0 in a year or two.
>
> Absolutely!  I'm basically saying let's follow what Airflow are doing,
> and tweak where needed, rather than do this from scratch.  They're an
> ASF project that seemed to have the problems we have, and seem to have
> addressed it in a way that we could use as a model - forms,
> automation, etc. included.
>
> I'm for doing this for the same reason I was for ditching LTS - it's a
> promise to our users we're not keeping.  It feels worse than useless
> right now - 32k open issues is just a black hole for users to vent
> their frustrations into.  We really need fewer, better quality issue
> reports.  So, why not see if we can learn from other ASF projects who
> have been through this?  It can't be worse! :-)

Regarding quality reports, see my earlier emails about filters, dashboards,
reports, etc.

Having filters showing assorted results like open issues.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20NetBeans%20AND%20status%20not%20in%20(Closed)%20

I think the JIRA Dashboards provide some of the quality issue reports
being looked for to provide some guidance..

I unable to to Share my personalized Netbeans dashboad so not sure this
will be visible or not but with a dashboard like
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=12333642

From that you can drill down to the given linked element (i.e. components,

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
On 11.11.21 16:08, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2021 at 14:55, Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>     -  Issue templates
>>     -  Pull request template
>>     -  Repository admins accept content reports
>>     -
>> Assume since Issues are not presently in use that probably explains the
>> Issue template, but do the other items need to be considered?
> Interesting. Maybe. What does the last one mean exactly?!
>
> In addition to the wiki page mentioned above, I do recommend just
> having a look at how Airflow have their repository configured.
> https://github.com/apache/airflow
>
> They do have a simple PR template.  The issues layout / forms are
> great - try working through the Issues / New Issue process!
>
> Neil

I do like the github issue tracker since it appears to be simpler while
still doing its job. To keep an issue tracker useful, it does need
maintenance though. E.g many projects automatically close issues if they
are inactive for a certain amount of time. Having 32k open issues on
jira like NB has, is no longer observable.

Many "critical" issues i commented on asking if its still a problem were
in fact already fixed. This has to be automated, nobody should have to
do that manually. If the original poster cares about the issue and its
closed by mistake, believe me, it will be reopened.

i am for github issues, but someone would actually have to write the
templates, and then also try to automate things, otherwise it will be
jira 2.0 in a year or two.

-michael

Re: Apache JIRA vs GitHub issues / discussions

Posted by Christian Oyarzun <co...@oyarzun.net>.
+1, I agree with Neil and believe Apache NetBeans would benefit from
transitioning to what Airflow has done.

If we continue to use Jira, these changes might help some:

   1. As Eric suggested, enable autolink for Jira issues.

   https://docs.github.com/en/repositories/managing-your-repositorys-settings-and-features/managing-repository-settings/configuring-autolinks-to-reference-external-resources
   2. Turn on more Jira automations like transition an issue once a PR has
   been merged. (I don't think this is currently enabled)

   https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/bitbucket-github-gitlab

--Christian

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.

> In addition to the wiki page mentioned above, I do recommend just
> having a look at how Airflow have their repository configured.
> https://github.com/apache/airflow
>
> They do have a simple PR template.  The issues layout / forms are
> great - try working through the Issues / New Issue process!

Still looking at that and it seems reasonable

If the DIscussion is added to Github (assume one of the repository admins
could enable that in some way), how would that work with existing mailing
lists?  Would it be like a new mailing list?  Would things get mirrored to
the existing lists?  Would posts on discussion get forwarded to emails?

Still raises the question, if the problem with current setup is mainly
driven by lack of integration between JIRA/Github - see autolink thread),
learning curve of JIRA (difficulty of using JIRA) -  possibly lack of
process/documentation, and change control/management/time to do so, will
this still result in potentially new/different learning curve of GItHub
Issues/Discussions, having to change process/documentation again, and how
to handle existing ticket (doall the tickets get duplicated from JIRA to
GIt?  Or maybe a subset [no need for closed ones unless some record of
these is preferred; try to avoid bringing duplicates, OBE tickets, etc.],
make JIRA read only after a time.

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Eric Bresie

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Slightly separate sub-topic but while on the Apache/Netbeans Github
repository site I noticed the Insite tab (see
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pulse ) which seems to provide some
similar reports like those generated in JIRA as mentioned previously.

One sub-selections was how things align with "community" standards (see
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/community )

It seems like have green checks on all of these but the following

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.