Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Max Clark <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/13 01:27:31 UTC

Increase in Spam

I have seen an increase in the amount of spam that has made its way
through our filters and in to our inboxes. Most of this seems to be
the stock pitches that are image attachments. Is there any way to
effectively combat this?

Thanks in advance,
Max

--
 Max Clark
 http://www.clarksys.com

Re: Increase in Spam

Posted by Clifton Royston <cl...@lava.net>.
On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 11:08:08PM -0400, Steve Lake wrote:
>         Oh, this sounds spectacular.  One question.  Is there a port on
> Freebsd for this?  I don't see one offhand.

  No there isn't.  However, if you use ports to pull in
p5-String-Approx, graphics/netpbm, graphics/libungif,
graphics/ImageMagick, and graphics/gocr, and all their dependencies, I
think that'll fetch everything.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr@iandicomputing.com / cliftonr@lava.net
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/

Re: Increase in Spam

Posted by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com>.
Steve Lake wrote:
>         Oh, this sounds spectacular.  One question.  Is there a port on
> Freebsd for this?  I don't see one offhand.  If there is, then that
> would assume that all the other necessary ports are present as well.  If
> not, it'll be a royal b**** trying to get the nix versions installed
> instead if no freebsd ported versions are available.  :(

So go make one :-)  It's easy enough.

--
Jo Rhett
Network/Software Engineer

Re: Increase in Spam

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
As beta it works very well. No crashes etc. It needs fine tuning to
make it more effective, though.
{^_^}
Posted by Steve Lake <st...@raiden.net>.
         Oh, beta.  Hmm, I guess I'm going to have to hold off on
installing it then.  I can't risk putting betas on a production server,
even if it is a small one.  Do you know if they'll make an announcement
about it when it's released?

At 11:25 PM 10/14/2006 -0700, jdow wrote:
>It's a few lines of perl. Download it. Put the pieces in the appropriate
>places. Go.
>
>(The direct answer is "of course not." It's still beta and nobody has
>done rpms, debs, or ports of it. There might now be a zip or tar file
>of it.)
>
>{^_-}
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Lake" <st...@raiden.net>
>

>>         Oh, this sounds spectacular.  One question.  Is there a port on
>> Freebsd for this?  I don't see one offhand.  If there is, then that
>> would assume that all the other necessary ports are present as well.  If
>> not, it'll be a royal b**** trying to get the nix versions installed
>> instead if no freebsd ported versions are available.  :(
>>         Also, stupid question to go with the first comment.  Will this
>> plugin be included in 3.2.0 so that it's native, or at least an optional
>> feature?  I don't care if it takes a bit of extra processor power.  The
>> server is a low volume dedicated server, so CPU load isn't an
>> issue.  Spam catching of near 100% is. :)
>>>
>>>Look into FuzzyOCR.
>>>http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/FuzzyOcrPlugin
>>>
>>>Drawback: it needs lots of CPU and extra time per message (more
>>>precisely, per message with attached images).  YMMV.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Kelson Vibber
>>>SpeedGate Communications <www.speed.net>
>>Steven Lake
>>Owner/Technical Writer
>>Raiden's Realm
>>www.raiden.net
>>A friendly web community

Steven Lake
Owner/Technical Writer
Raiden's Realm
www.raiden.net
A friendly web community

Re: Increase in Spam

Re: Increase in Spam

Posted by John Thompson <jo...@vector.os2.dhs.org>.
On 2006-10-15, Steve Lake <st...@raiden.net> wrote:

>          Oh, this sounds spectacular.  One question.  Is there a port on
> Freebsd for this?  I don't see one offhand.  If there is, then that would
> assume that all the other necessary ports are present as well.  If not,
> it'll be a royal b**** trying to get the nix versions installed instead if
> no freebsd ported versions are available.  :(

FuzzyORC itself doesn't have a FreeBSD port, but it's just a perl
script. It depends on gocr for image processing, though, and there is a
FreeBSD port for that available. Seems to work fine here on FreeBSD-5.4
Stable.

>          Also, stupid question to go with the first comment.  Will this
> plugin be included in 3.2.0 so that it's native, or at least an optional
> feature?  I don't care if it takes a bit of extra processor power.  The
> server is a low volume dedicated server, so CPU load isn't an issue.  Spam
> catching of near 100% is. :)

I have no idea if FuzzyOCR is being considered for inclusion into SA. It
does take a considerable amount of CPU and memory resources, though. I'm
running it on a dual PIII-600 system with 512MB RAM and scan times are
routinely over 2 minutes/message, and a fair amount of swap is always in
use.

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)

RE: Increase in Spam

Posted by Larry Rosenman <le...@lerctr.org>.
Steve Lake wrote:
>          Oh, this sounds spectacular.  One question.  Is there a port
> on Freebsd for this?  I don't see one offhand.  If there is, then
> that would assume that all the other necessary ports are present as
> well.  If not, it'll be a royal b**** trying to get the nix versions
> installed instead if no freebsd ported versions are available.  :(
>
>          Also, stupid question to go with the first comment.  Will
> this plugin be included in 3.2.0 so that it's native, or at least an
> optional feature?  I don't care if it takes a bit of extra processor
> power.  The server is a low volume dedicated server, so CPU load
> isn't an issue.  Spam catching of near 100% is. :)
>
> At 05:01 PM 10/12/2006 -0700, Kelson wrote:
>> Max Clark wrote:
>>> I have seen an increase in the amount of spam that has made its way
>>> through our filters and in to our inboxes. Most of this seems to be
>>> the stock pitches that are image attachments. Is there any way to
>>> effectively combat this?
>>
>> Look into FuzzyOCR.
>> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/FuzzyOcrPlugin
>>
>> Drawback: it needs lots of CPU and extra time per message (more
>> precisely, per message with attached images).  YMMV.
>>
>> --
>> Kelson Vibber
>> SpeedGate Communications <www.speed.net>
>>

> Steven Lake
> Owner/Technical Writer
> Raiden's Realm
> www.raiden.net
> A friendly web community

All the ports, except one, are there.  I really should
 put together a port (I'm running it on my FreeBSD/amd64 mailhost.

Works great.

Phone: +1 512-248-2683             E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893

Re: Increase in Spam

Posted by Steve Lake <st...@raiden.net>.

Re: Increase in Spam

Posted by Clifton Royston <cl...@lava.net>.
On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 09:08:23PM -0700, Max Clark wrote:
> Thanks - this is exactly what I was looking for.
>
> -Max
>
> On 10/12/06, Kelson <ke...@speed.net> wrote:
> >Max Clark wrote:
> >> I have seen an increase in the amount of spam that has made its way
> >> through our filters and in to our inboxes. Most of this seems to be
> >> the stock pitches that are image attachments. Is there any way to
> >> effectively combat this?
> >
> >Look into FuzzyOCR.
> >http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/FuzzyOcrPlugin
> >
> >Drawback: it needs lots of CPU and extra time per message (more
> >precisely, per message with attached images).  YMMV.

  Be warned also, it's a bit of a pain to install because it has a
number of prerequisites (gocr, ImageMagick, netpbm, etc.) On a FreeBSD
server with no previous graphics-related packages, I had to build and
install something like 17 or 18 new packages.

  Preliminary testing says it works well though, though I haven't yet
moved it into production.

  -- Clifton

Re: Increase in Spam

Posted by Max Clark <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Increase in Spam

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.

Re: Increase in Spam

Posted by Clifton Royston <cl...@lava.net>.
On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 09:35:33PM +0530, Suhas (QualiSpace) wrote:
> I have added those to the local.cf but doesn't seems to be working, what
> could be the reason?

  These rule score adjustments depend on having added some of the SARE
rules; I'm not sure which set they're from.
  -- Clifton

RE: Increase in Spam

Posted by "Suhas (QualiSpace)" <su...@qualispace.com>.
I have added those to the local.cf but doesn't seems to be working, what
could be the reason?

Warm Regards,
Suhas
System Admin