Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <dh...@csir.co.za> on 2005/10/12 08:02:03 UTC

Are any of the developers using Groovy?

Just wondering if *any* of the Cocoon developers are using
Groovy at all; or is just a "bolt on" feature in Cocoon that is not
perceived of any use for real applications ("Real Developers use Java")?

I have posted a few simple Groovy-related questions in the past
few days, and the lack of any response worries me.  I am thinking I
should just drop this now before I get into deeper waters & go back
to Flow which is written in Javascript, but at least there are examples
for what I want to do.

{A sidebar:   there is something really appealing about Groovy -
from the POV of someone who has struggled to get "into" Java -
and the notion of a language that is as simple to use as Python,
feature-rich and with *immediate* access to all Java libraries [only
as needed] is very compelling.  I do not have the technical vision
for it, but the possibility of a completely Groovy-powered Cocoon
seems not impossible -- in other threads there have been calls for
more simplicity and directness to make Cocoon more accessible ;
surely the use of a single, powerful scripting language - which could
power everything from writing custom generators and actions, to
handling flow and even (in limited cases) complex templates - is a
attractive option?!  End Sidebar}

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice

CSIR Copyright, Terms and Conditions

HelpDesk@csir.co.za.

Re: Are any of the developers using Groovy?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 12 oct. 05, à 08:02, Derek Hohls a écrit :

> ...Just wondering if *any* of the Cocoon developers are using
> Groovy at all; or is just a "bolt on" feature in Cocoon that is not
> perceived of any use for real applications ("Real Developers use
> Java")?...

I stopped playing with Groovy in Cocoon when I realized that it was
going to be Yet Another Language, and we use many different tools in
Cocoon already (and also - I lacked the time as usual ;-)

Most of the things that I envisioned doing in Groovy can be done with
existing tools, and with the jdbi stuff that Sylvain showed us last
week at the GT (and which IIUC he's going to contribute), the direct
SQL stuff is going to be covered very nicely.

So I'd be reluctant to give more weight to Groovy, unless there's a
compelling reason to do it - better give more power to Flowscript and
not introduce yet another tool.

This is my personal opinion, I don't think there have been any
community decisions on this.

-Bertrand