Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rick Chisholm <rc...@southlandonline.com> on 2009/03/03 22:51:06 UTC

tomcat + SSL

This has got to be a popular one...

I have a tomcat5.5 install on debian5 - I used the keytool to generate
a .keystore file in /etc/tomcat5.5

I've followed the SSL how-to, but when I restart tomcat port 8443 is nowhere
to be found.  So now I've started with a barebones connector built from the
server-minimal.xml just to verify things are working.

Seems that as soon as I point the connector at the keystore and enable the SSL
elements in the connector, it fails to launch.  Tomcat's lack of logging is
killing me!

current connector:

<Connector port="8443"
        scheme="https" secure="true" compression="on"
        clientAuth="false"
        keystoreFile="/etc/tomcat5.5/.keystore"
        sslProtocol="SSL" />

switched sslProtocol to see if it had any effect...

ideas?
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-+-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Rick Chisholm

Re: tomcat + SSL

Posted by Rick Chisholm <rc...@southlandonline.com>.
On March 4, 2009 09:34:29 am Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>  You'll need to contact your OS supplier
> for support for a repackaged one.

thx Chuck - will seek support elsewhere.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-+-=-=-=-=-=-=-

RE: tomcat + SSL

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Rick Chisholm [mailto:rchisholm@southlandonline.com]
> Subject: Re: tomcat + SSL
>
> define repackaged... this is what apt-get install tomcat5.5
> gave me

That's repackaged.  A real Tomcat is one downloaded from tomcat.apache.org.  The 3rd-party repackagers are notorious for changing Tomcat enough to make it incompatible with real ones.  You'll need to contact your OS supplier for support for a repackaged one.

> the docs make it sound like you have to setup log4j to get
> logging...

What docs are you looking at?  Tomcat logs pretty much everything already; the configuration (in a real Tomcat) is defined in conf/logging.properties.

> nothing getting written to /var/log or /var/lib/tomcat5.5/logs

Those locations are not used by a real Tomcat.  Again, if you insist on using a repackaged, adulterated form of Tomcat, you'll have to get support from whomever you got it from.  I'd strongly suggest throwing away what you've got, downloading and installing a real Tomcat, and trying it again.

If you're just starting out with Tomcat, I would also suggest using the current 6.0 version rather than the older 5.5.

 - Chuck

Re: tomcat + SSL

Posted by Rick Chisholm <rc...@southlandonline.com>.
On March 3, 2009 05:04:48 pm Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

> Real Tomcat, or a repackaged one?

define repackaged... this is what apt-get install tomcat5.5 gave me, it's not
something that came along with another app, if that's what you're asking.

> There's no lack of logging in a real Tomcat...  but if you're using a
> 3rd-party version, there's no telling to where the log files have been
> scattered.

the docs make it sound like you have to setup log4j to get logging...  nothing
getting written to /var/log or /var/lib/tomcat5.5/logs

> The 8443 connector is commented out in the default server.xml; did you fix
> that?

did that the first time around - and ran keytool as per Tomcat docs, but that
actually generated .keystore in the home dir of the user it's executed as.  I
removed that keystore and generated another redirecting the store
to /etc/tomcat5.5 and added the keystoreFile attribute to the connector still
nothing.

If I just have <Connector port="8443"> I get an open http port on 8443, it
only seems to fail once you set it up as an SSL port.

--

RE: tomcat + SSL

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.