Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by sadaf zargeen <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2003/03/11 22:13:25 UTC

newbie question. Load-balancing/Failover in Avalon/Phoneix?

searching the archive I could not find information on
this, nor did I see any reference to it in users
guide.

Is there any plans to make Avalon/Phoneix Fault
tolerant or build loading-balancing into it or is that
too application specific to be part of the framework.

I can forsee hot stand-by situation needed where one
instance of application (with all of its components)
upon failure would fail over to another running
instance of Phonenix.    Or the high load on one
application can be balanced across multiple running
Avalon/Phoneix instances with proper sharing of
session information for seamless
load-balance/fail-over.

This can be done at a more granular level such as
component load-balanced within an application.

This being part of the framework would make Avalon
applications automatically highly-available.

That makes avalon very attractive as a server
framework(not that it isn't already) proposition.

any comments or effort being made in that direction?

s.z.

Re: newbie question. Load-balancing/Failover in Avalon/Phoneix?

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:

> sadaf zargeen wrote:
>
>>> That is usually application/domain specific though
>>> we have talked about
>>

>> where?  Wiki or mailing list, cause I couldn't find
>> anything on mailing list.
>

> probably on the avalon-phoenix-dev@jakart.apache.org list (which we no
>
> - Leo, just really badly cut his right index finger so typing really
> really slowly

s o r r y   t o   h e a r   t h i s

(Steve typing really slowly in order to express his commiseration and
sympathy.)

;-)

p.s. Get a bandaid or you will really muck up your keyboard!

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: newbie question. Load-balancing/Failover in Avalon/Phoneix?

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Posted by sadaf zargeen <sa...@yahoo.com>.
ooh.  that is an endevaour that I am not sure if I am
capable of undertaking.  I will have to later on but
not right now due to my time constraints.

I was hoping for a lively discussion to ensue and
somehow magically the function would show up in
phoenix or something couple of days later. ;-)

But I see that is not how it works.   But as I come
across a working solution, I will continue to
contribute to mailing list and solicit feedback within
the framwork context.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.

Posted by sadaf zargeen <sa...@yahoo.com>.
--- Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:13, sadaf zargeen wrote:
> > Is there any plans to make Avalon/Phoneix Fault
> > tolerant or build loading-balancing into it or is
> that
> > too application specific to be part of the
> framework.
>
> That is usually application/domain specific though
> we have talked about

where?  Wiki or mailing list, cause I couldn't find
anything on mailing list.

> implementing it before. Any ideas?

Well just some questions within the context of the
application I am working on that requires failover and
loadbalancing that I wish I could have use Avalon for.
They are generic enought that can find their way into
a framework. The questions deal with failover only
though.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.