Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jonathan Mast <jh...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/22 16:38:15 UTC

Why isn't my welcome file being read?

I have an context on Tomcat that is receiving some traffic and returning 404
errors.  The request is logged in Apache as "GET /foo/"  with no file being
specified.  I've specified in the WEB-INF/web.xml file that the welcome file
should be "index.jsp" yet I am still getting 404s.  It should be noted that
the server-wide, custom 404.html is served up when requesting this url in
the browser.

Is this the correct method to route incoming requests for a directory to a
specific file?

Apache 1.3.33
Tomcat 5.5
Java 1.4.2

Thanks

RE: Why isn't my welcome file being read?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Jonathan Mast [mailto:jhmast.developer@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Why isn't my welcome file being read?
>
> I presume it is something called JK that does the connection
> to Tomcat, I'm obviously not too familiar with Apache.

Then why are you using httpd at all?  Current versions of Tomcat can handle static content quite well.

> How do tell Apache to forward all incoming requests for
> "/foo/" onto Tomcat, which would then know to serve
> /foo/index.jsp ?

Read the doc:
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/webserver_howto/apache.html#Assigning%20URLs%20to%20Tomcat

 - Chuck

Re: Why isn't my welcome file being read?

Posted by Jonathan Mast <jh...@gmail.com>.
Yeah I figured that Apache was not forwarding it onto Tomcat, however I have
other urls that also don't specify a file, and these *are* automagically
forwarded to a JSP.

I presume it is something called JK that does the connection to Tomcat, I'm
obviously not too familiar with Apache.

How do tell Apache to forward all incoming requests for "/foo/" onto Tomcat,
which would then know to serve /foo/index.jsp ?

Thanks

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.