Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jayashree Gopal <gj...@yahoo.com> on 2001/12/20 09:15:01 UTC

VERY VERY URGENT!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Hello,
I have Tomcat version 4.0 installed which supports
servlet 2.3 API and JSP 1.2 specifications.

I am writing a servlet which creates a session and
includes the username and password inside this
session. I am passing the session ID to the other html
pages generated thru a servlet. However when i try to
compile the first servlet which creates a session,It
gives me a compilation error at the putAttribute()
methods. The putAttribute() method is a replacement
for the putValue() method in Servlet 1.2. Is not
servlet.jar in tomcat 4.0 the servlet 2.3 .class
files.

Please let me know how do i rectify this error.

Thanks!
Jayashree.

=====
Best Regards,
Jayashree

Re: VERY VERY URGENT!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Posted by James Williamson <ja...@nameonthe.net>.
> I have Tomcat version 4.0 installed which supports
> servlet 2.3 API and JSP 1.2 specifications.
>
> I am writing a servlet which creates a session and
> includes the username and password inside this
> session. I am passing the session ID to the other html
> pages generated thru a servlet. However when i try to
> compile the first servlet which creates a session,It
> gives me a compilation error at the putAttribute()
> methods. The putAttribute() method is a replacement

No, setAttribute is, check out the API:

http://java.sun.com/j2ee/sdk_1.3/techdocs/api/index.html

> for the putValue() method in Servlet 1.2. Is not

putValue is deprecated, although the compiler will print a warning
about using a deprecated API during compiliation (but won't prevent it).

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Jayashree Gopal wrote:

> Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 00:15:01 -0800 (PST)
> From: Jayashree Gopal <gj...@yahoo.com>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: VERY VERY URGENT!!! PLEASE HELP!!!
>
> Hello,
> I have Tomcat version 4.0 installed which supports
> servlet 2.3 API and JSP 1.2 specifications.
>
> I am writing a servlet which creates a session and
> includes the username and password inside this
> session. I am passing the session ID to the other html
> pages generated thru a servlet. However when i try to
> compile the first servlet which creates a session,It
> gives me a compilation error at the putAttribute()
> methods. The putAttribute() method is a replacement
> for the putValue() method in Servlet 1.2. Is not
> servlet.jar in tomcat 4.0 the servlet 2.3 .class
> files.
>
> Please let me know how do i rectify this error.

You probably have the wrong servlet.jar file in your CLASSPATH at compile
time.  It should be the one that came with Tomcat 4.  Note that this is
totally independent of what Tomcat actually uses when it runs.

> Thanks!
> Jayashree.

Craig